Regen

Andrew, what is your normal driving style. A non passive regen will be forced if the DPF reaches a predefined soot level, if you do lots of motorway miles and/or regularly drive using the full engine power then you should never notice a regen.

What's a regen??

regeneration (cleaning) of the particulate filter on a diesel

to clean itself it needs to reach a certain temperature, under normal driving on A roads / dual carriageways it will reach temp and regen on its own, if you do a lot of town driving or drive economically all the time it will need to do an "active" regen, this is achieved by injecting fuel a little later so the exhaust is hotter to heat the DPF and burn the soot off

clues to a active regen are

• idle over 1000rpm,
  • radiator fan runs after you turn the engine off,
  • funny smell when you get out the car
  • car seems slightly down on power
  • instant fuel reading on display is lower than normal

I drive 200 miles a week - I have noticed the burning rubber/clutch/whatever stink maybe a dozen times and have had the car since June last year.

My wife noticed the judder once, when it was 2 days old, in traffic, never repeated.

I had the DPF light on once and it turned off the next time I started the car.

So, you might never see it, feel it or smell it - so It probably is just happening.

OR

You drive so few miles that it never thinks it's needed it yet and one day it'll do the lot - judder, stink and illuminate!

In cold weather you have to be careful you don't confuse a regen with a higher idle RPM often seen while the engine warms up to full operating temp. However my Yeti was troubled by very regular regens in the winter months, often daily, which both the local dealer and SUK felt was normal behaviour, although a previous DPF equipped Skoda didn't do this.

After a lot of thought I came to the conclusion that the engine needs heat for the DPF to passively regenerate but what if the cold weather wasn't letting it get warm enough :wonder: Think I may have cured mine of the problem by getting a Heko lower grill cover, effectively halving the cold air entering the engine bay, as over the last couple of months hardly had a regen, oh and the car does a 72 mile round trip commute daily during the week on free flowing country A roads, so lack of use wasn't the issue here..

TP