Lack of boost and wonky idle on vRS

rys

Hi guys,

I've got a Mk1 '01 plate vRS that I bought from a member here a little while back and she's got about 130K miles on her now. Recently the car's developed what I think is a breathing problem where the symptoms are a lack of boost and an idle that never settles.

Idle wise, it'll sit OK for about 10 seconds and then drop as if it's going to stall, then come back up again instantly. It never does stall, but threatens to like clockwork every 10s or so.

It's had the main breather pipe replaced recently, which I thought would cure it, and it's had a new set of plugs and coil packs as well so I don't think it's ignition!

I've got a laptop with vagcom but I'm a total novice at anything OBD related. What kind of things should I be looking for if it is breathing related, in vagcom?

At a guess it's maybe a duff MAF sensor or an air leak somewhere else other than the breather pipe, so what would show on vagcom to confirm either of those theories?

Thanks very much in advance, looking forward to getting her back to rude health again!

Rys

I'll check the fault codes in vagcom this weekend, and I'll give it for a drive with no MAF and see what it feels like. Thanks for the advice, I'll update the thread when I've got more info.

Cheers!

Hi aj,

The guy I bought it from did mention that the DV might need a service, so I'll add that to the list. It's not the OEM one and does have a service guide, so I'll give it a clean at the weekend if I can, after I see what vagcom says and check what a drive with the MAF sensor disconnected is like.

Cheers!