Motorway Blowout. 2 Tyres wrecked. Evergreens Fitted, Oh dear.

On the Centre Line but not the worst of them. (Due to the Police Recovery Vehicle speeding at that point.)

& how a Forfar Loon deals with holes.

That 1st photo looks like the bugger. You are a star sir. :rock: :love:

Am going to send these of in an email to substantiate my last email.

Cant believe you got these. My cap is well and trully doffed to you.

Well impressed with you George, you Sir went well out of your way to help a member here, respect!

I was once driving through Deutschland winter time. brand new piece of motorway concrete/bitumen type, the best money can buy. However, there was a failure sowhere in the process, eithe laid in too low temps or mixure wrong for the conditions an large chunks of the surface were missing competely randomly on both labes (Dual Carriageway). Holes were around 300mm deep (ones on photos above seem to be roughly 100-150mm deep) and large (0.5mx1.0-2.0mlong). Cars were literary ripping their suspensions apart - never seen so many ADAC vans along one stretch of motorway ever. I was crapping myself as it was night time, raining and moderately busy so slalom was rather buttock clinching and whole family were being thrown around the car like on rollercoaster ride! Luckily I only went in once and due to low speed and "my hole" not being the worst kind beemer survived - thank God for massively overengineered deutsch sheds :D.

Back on topic, with such evidence you should have no problems getting your money :thumbup:

• Like 1

post-94564-0-56565300-1366032623_thumb.jpgpost-94564-0-21684800-1366032645_thumb.jpg

Never posted pictures before so hope these work. Not that dramatic but when i attached these to my email update to BEAR i noticed the rim looked bent under the hole in the tyre. Will need a proper investigation tonight. Im hoping its just an anomoly in the photo but seems to much of a coincidence. Thought i checked them when it happened but it was a bit of a rush.

Don't hold your breath for a response or your money btw. In-laws have claims in now and they've still not been processed after 2 months.

If your claims fails you could try the SPSO (Scottish Public services Ombudsman) but you might need to go through a complaints process first.

Edited by Aspman

Its a wonderful road, its the Main Route North/South from Dundee or Perth to Aberdeen & further North.

Some bad Holes opening tho

& going to get worse as this weather warms up.

Obviously the Road Workers that have been on Winter Hours and overtime will now be taking holidays or Time in Lieu.

(& its the Easter School Holidays still)

Certainly no BEAR or 'Tayside Contracts' Road Crews out and about that i have spotted.

Only any good for within Angus, which this was not.

http://www.angus.gov.uk/services/view_service_detail.cfm?serviceid=1146

george

Don't hold your breath for a response or your money btw. In-laws have claims in now and they've still not been processed after 2 months.

If your claims fails you could try the SPSO (Scottish Public services Ombudsman) but you might need to go through a complaints process first.

Im not feeling too confident as several work collegues have advised about similar occurances and it looks like the councils pay out only on rare occasions. I will keep perstering them though, im not worried how long it takes as at least my car is roadworthy again. Just really annoys me that they seem to be able to get away with it i.e leave roads in total disrepair.

What would the insurance claim form state or the police investigation report state as the contributing factor if my car had gone off the road? I dare say blame would lie with the council so they should be taking responsibility as potholes on a dual carrigeway in the middle of the road is a joke. Imagine a motorbike had hit it?? As i biker and knowing the impact i felt i dare say a biker would have come off.

I have no idea how long a pothole like this takes to form but i surely cant be the only person to have hit this due to its location and how busy the road is.

• Like 1

Evergreens are made by goodyear so wouldnt worry too much about it

That at least does give me some confidence. Thanks.

Havent tried them in anger yet but its the emergency stop in the wet scenario im concerned about more than ultimate cornering grip. Im sure they will be fine but ive owned some horrendous tyres in the past ( Wanli ) and dont want a similar experience especially with a wee one on board.

Sorry broken links because i have loss of signal.

http://www.transportscotland.gov.uk

Trunk Roads & Trunk road maintenance responsibilities

Have posted a "defect" on BEAR's website. Thanks again. Made reference when i posted this defect to my previous emails so im sure someone will be in touch. Even if it is to tell me tough cookies.

I was hoping for a lot of rain to wash the salt off the roads so I can ride more but it's taken away the road in some places with some really big holes. Swansea High St is ridicuous. But after about 3 years the council have finally resurfaced a nice few bends on my way home from work so that's something

Im not feeling too confident as several work collegues have advised about similar occurances and it looks like the councils pay out only on rare occasions. I will keep perstering them though, im not worried how long it takes as at least my car is roadworthy again. Just really annoys me that they seem to be able to get away with it i.e leave roads in total disrepair.

What would the insurance claim form state or the police investigation report state as the contributing factor if my car had gone off the road? I dare say blame would lie with the council so they should be taking responsibility as potholes on a dual carrigeway in the middle of the road is a joke. Imagine a motorbike had hit it?? As i biker and knowing the impact i felt i dare say a biker would have come off.

I have no idea how long a pothole like this takes to form but i surely cant be the only person to have hit this due to its location and how busy the road is.

Don't bother waste your time pestering you're just a voice in the crowd. If they reject your claim get the info to make sure your is valid then you can kick off and win.

That's why I always say to put in an FOI for the maintenance standard for the road, the inspection standard (how often), the inspection schedule (when did it really happen), reported defects and their repairs all around the time of your incident. If you fall in a window where they've not done something that they should have you'll win no argument. If not, you'll lose and no amount of shouting will change it.

http://www.transport...reports/foi-pub

Bear have 'hit squads that go out to reported defects. It might just be a crap patch of tarry chips but it ticks the box, bear no longer liable.

Edited by Aspman

Its been a hard winter there, especially for the road surface.

and all the talk is about the crossings but you can see how the junctions and the surfaces get torn up.

No excuse for BEAR being on slow go at holiday time or peope like the Police that are crossing this weekends holes not reporting them.

This Vid is about the junction 1 mile North of the Sheltered bit with the pot holes

(pot holes which are where the Speed camera on the 70 mph Southbound stretch causes lots of drivers to brake and the surface is lifting just before the camera..)

I'm currently fighting with my local Council for a damaged tyre. They rejected my claim as the road was inspected back in August 2012 (I hit the pothole in January 2013!) so they were able to prove that they followed procedure.

Another problem is that they farm out the work to a solicitor which makes things more difficult as they deal with claims all day, every day.

Make sure you report the defect. There are guidelines that stipulate how long they have to make the repair (depends on the authority and the classification of the road).

As above put in a 'Freedom of Information Request' but don't waste the opportunity as they have 20 working days to respond. The questions that you should submit are detailed on the pothole forum linked earlier.

This is how I am appealing against the decision, the FOI showed that the pothole wasn't inspected within 5 days (as per the Councils own requirements) and they claimed the hole was repaired on a given date but the FOI didn't even reference a repair.

I don't expect I'll be successful but I'll feel better if I know I've explored all options :giggle:

P.S we had an interesting debate on here recently regarding budget tyres, Evergreen's were mentioned (I'm on my second full set on my vRS) and like them a lot. It'll be interested to see how you find them.

Good luck.

IMG_3832.jpg

IMG_3820.jpg

Edited by silver1011

Guest BigJase88

That at least does give me some confidence. Thanks.

Havent tried them in anger yet but its the emergency stop in the wet scenario im concerned about more than ultimate cornering grip. Im sure they will be fine but ive owned some horrendous tyres in the past ( Wanli ) and dont want a similar experience especially with a wee one on board.

They will be far superior to wanli! My local garage recommended them and im pally with them so they wouldnt b.s me. I opted for kumho's instead but they rated them well

As above put in a 'Freedom of Information Request' but don't waste the opportunity as they have 20 working days to respond. The questions that you should submit are detailed on the pothole forum linked earlier.

20 days is set by statute but they're often late due to under-staffing. You can request a late review without removing your right to a later substantive review but all it does it cause more work tbh.

Perversely don't put in the request too soon. FOI operates backwards from the date you submit the request so give them time for records and systems to update.

Make the request in the clearest simplest language possible. It will get process by a junior lackie in all probability not a legal wizard. Lots of people try to be too clever with FOI and it just causes confusion.

• Like 1

Just be aware that although Transport Scotland is covered by FOISA, Bear is a private company and is not covered.

The Government have promised to extend FOISA to cover the sort of trusts and charities which councils now use to operate leisure services but AFAIK there has been no demand (or offer) to extend this to cover Bear and Amey. Maybe you should write to your MSP and ask him/her to raise it. The government can designate such bodies using what's called a s.5 order.

First you can just ask BEAR, simple and quick.

If you do not ask you never learn if they will tell without need for doing anything else.

The picture on the right in post #47 shows the 'yellow start line for the repair' on the centre line that was done or is to be done, before the White Line gets painted again.

that was probably not sprayed on the road that long ago.

george

• Like 1