Fabia vrs wishbone bushes

Hi all,

I'm new to posting to this forum but have used the info on it for a while.

Basically, rear bushes went on front wishbone, common issue I gather, took to a garage and they said they couldn't get the bushes out without possibly breaking or causing more problems, due to over tightened or possible corrosion, he is suggesting I need new housing as well as bushes and bolts as removing the old ones will almost certainly break certain components. He quoted £310

I have an 06 fabia vrs 65000 miles, is this common? Am I being done over or is this reasonable?

Look forward to hearing your responses..

Alex

Well ive done them on older cars and have never had a problem with the houseing that the bush sits in or any off the bolts for that matter as they are a big hefty bolt if i was u i would take it to a garage that knows what they are actualy doing where are u located?

The bushes can be replaced with no damage to any other oart iff the subframe if i was closer i would have gladly stuck it in the air and showed u whats what and probebly done it alot cheaper

Burton on Trent, near derby if that helps, I've found 2x lower wishbones including ball joints and bolts, would that be the part needed if it was the housing I needed?

If they say its the houseing then that is the subframe

So a plastic and rubber bush has corroded to an aluminium console? Yea right. I did wishbones, drop links, ball joints, bolts and Powerflex console bushes for £100 and half that was the console bushes. It's a simple DIY job with the Powerflex kit, I replaced the lot to be done with it and save having to replace anything else over the next few years. Go somewhere else as clearly whoever told you that is trying it on.

....I wonder if people here are talking about the same thing as me...

It is not uncommon for the front wishbone bolt to seize up in the alloy console where the bush sits, so don't know why people are saying it doesn't. It seems to be well documented on here people having to replace the full console due to the bolt being seized and doing damage.

The problem is when you remove the bolt from the housing it pulls the threads out with it making it impossible for the bolt to go back in.

Ive done hundreds now on all types of different vag car's with different engines including a recent one last week with a DSG box... That was a pain!

Burton on Trent, near derby if that helps, I've found 2x lower wishbones including ball joints and bolts, would that be the part needed if it was the housing I needed?

No, they are just the wishbones. The part that can get damaged is the console that holds the bush.

Edit: here's an eBay part number for the part the garage said you might need (I assume) 330909790872

....I wonder if people here are talking about the same thing as me...

It is not uncommon for the front wishbone bolt to seize up in the alloy console where the bush sits, so don't know why people are saying it doesn't. It seems to be well documented on here people having to replace the full console due to the bolt being seized and doing damage.

The problem is when you remove the bolt from the housing it pulls the threads out with it making it impossible for the bolt to go back in.

Ive done hundreds now on all types of different vag car's with different engines including a recent one last week with a DSG box... That was a pain!

True but its not that common, after 12 years I got my two out without a fight, i'm not saying everyone will be like that but 2 minutes on the ramps and you'd know if they were going to cause an issue. I dropped the wishbone on the Octy (DSG) to do some suspension work without issue, I'm not saying they all go like that, I've also had to resort to harsh language and a blow torch before now on exhaust studs and lambda's before that had been apart only 12 months earlier.

No, they are just the wishbones. The part that can get damaged is the console that holds the bush.

Edit: here's an eBay part number for the part the garage said you might need (I assume) 330909790872

Ill contact the garage but think this is what I'll be looking for. And your right with the fact about the bolt seizing up, think he mentioned this....

Cheers for all the replies though, much help!!!