Most economical diesel for higher motorway speeds

I gave up long ago trying to achieve supreme mog in my greenline.

I basically rag it most of the time & get 450 to 490 miles from a tank doing short stop start journeys.

Yesterday driving smoothely on dual carriageway at indicated 75mph i was getting indicated 60 ish mpg on the display, going up to a max 65mpg when slowing down when stuck in traffic.

Hope that helps.

Glad you have found Fabia that you are happy with.

Agree with everyone on here regarding the difference between the PD & CR diesels. I have had a Fabia on a 'Y' plate just after they came out that I did 40k in 2yrs of ownership and only sold due to Skoda's in-ability to cure the LH steering issue despite many, many attempts and tyre changes every 8k miles.

Since owning my GL2 estate since last September I have found it gets 750 miles per 50L fill although I do feel underwhelmed by the power delivery and the yawning flatspot in the power. Your 1.6 tdi  will have a similar spot although prob much reduced.

It is the same engine in the 1.6tdi across the power outputs so if you had ordered the lowest power you can now get them remapped to 140bhp without issues and the power delivery is massively improved. That's the next thing I am looking into getting done in my GL once I save up the pennies to make it more drivable.

Anyway congrats and enjoy,

Andy

• Like 1

Thanks Andy.

I am loving it - interesting what you say about a remap though. I'd always assumed remaps were for top-end speed and acceleration, not really to improve the ease of the drive.

I've gone for a 5yr warrantee though so think I'd better not do it. Perhaps a treat for a few years' time if I've still got it! Or maybe I just need to learn to make my down-changes slicker...

Newbie, you mentioned that you feel the hole in 30 zones - presumably you're not changing down to 2nd because it's a 30 zone, but because you're going even slower?

My 105 CR wants to pop into 4th at 30, not the other way! Maybe it needs to loosen up a bit.

I've said before, my daily journey isn't great for economy, but I get 48mpg every fill up, which equates to about 470 miles. It's a 45 litre tank (not sure if the GL is 50, as mentioned in MicMac's post), so doesn't break the bank.

I find it plenty quick enough and smooth enought through the range, but the idea of spending c£300 to get another 35bhp is tempting...I just don't think I'll have it long enough, as the kids are growing and the use is changing, so it might have to go and change for a huge used estate.

"presumably you're not changing down to 2nd because it's a 30 zone, but because you're going even slower?"

Yes, if I have to slow at all, or if there's a hill. From what you say about your it sounds like that will improve over the next few thousand miles and then I can be lazy like before, which will make it the perfect car :-)

"Kids growing up..." 9an see it would be a bit of a tight squeeze with a family!! ...Fabia estate or something bigger?

"presumably you're not changing down to 2nd because it's a 30 zone, but because you're going even slower?"

Yes, if I have to slow at all, or if there's a hill. From what you say about your it sounds like that will improve over the next few thousand miles and then I can be lazy like before, which will make it the perfect car :-)

"Kids growing up..." Can see it would be a bit of a tight squeeze with a family!! ...Fabia estate or something bigger?