Most economical diesel for higher motorway speeds

My tdi 150 1.9 leon got 40mpg at 90mph fully laden

My mates a5 240bhp 3.0l tdi got 42mpg at 90mph following me

How close was he following you? :giggle:

At that speed aerodynamics becomes critical as it air resitance will dominate the fuel consumption. http://www.withouthotair.com/cA/page_259.shtml

Although the A5 may be bigger (drag area), it probably has a lower drag coefficient, so it will win at high speed.

I had a mate like that. Turned out his MPG indicator was way out.

Made him feel good though. :)

You can only really quote MPG from brim to brim calculations.

I'd imagine the A5 is more aerodynamic and has taller gearing too.

• Like 2

I had a mate like that. Turned out his MPG indicator was way out.

Made him feel good though. :)

You can only really quote MPG from brim to brim calculations.

I'd imagine the A5 is more aerodynamic and has taller gearing too.

Absolutely..

Brimming my Scout I am getting just over 600 miles to a tank full, but I rarely see much above mid 50's on the trip computer. Fuelly calculates it as low 60's MPG. Mine has started to loosen up nicely now though at just over 24K miles since I picked it up in late September, and after it's last service seems to be up on MPG slightly.

I also dropped a PiperCross filter in, which seems to help a bit, but mine is mapped.

I would say it has taller gearing!

My leons slam dunked so maybe better air flow than stock

That's why I am thinking of lowering the scout, because it's slightly taller than standard and had brick like aerodynamics, plus it would look good, the trade off is it would be really harsh over some of the ****ty roads, and the number of speed bumps cropping up locally would have the sump off one day :)

Test-drove the Fabia Greenline Estate today.

Loved 90% of it and could easily live with the limitations of the small engine but...

...the noise!

Not just the engine, but the whine (turbo?) and the road noise.

I'd read that it was a bit grough and that the compromises for lightness reduced sound-insulation, but thought it couldn't be worse than my 1.9 TDI with 175,000 miles. Honestly, the old 1.9 felt positively luxurious when I got back into it.

Didn't think I was so fussy (spoiled?!).

The dealer suggested that the Hatch would be a bit quieter but I can't help feeling that's grasping at straws.

So 1.6 105 next? Only not considering the Octavia (yet) because the Fabias have VAT off at the mo.

Is there any reason to consider the 90 bhp instead of the 105? Insurance would be pretty much the same for me.

Edited by Another Newbie

Sounds about right, the 1.2 3cyl Greenline is noiser than a 1.9TDI. 3cyl engines generall are more vocal.

But at least it has stop-start so you don't have to listen to it while stationary.

I'd give the 1.6 CR a go, I think you'll be impressed.

If I was buying one I'd go straight to the 105 too, if you are going to pay a bit more you may as well have the most responsive (in stock trim) diesel there is for the mkII Fabia.

• 2 weeks later...

Just to let you know I test-drove a 1.6 (105) tdi today and will be ordering one!

Will probably go for the sport suspension option as I prefer the feel of it (as per Greenline II), and I might get some marginally improved economy I suppose.

Many thanks for your invaluable advice - I really appreciate your expert help and now know I've made the right choice.

Alice

Oooh - thanks for asking!

It's a really boring set-up, but the car will be a work-horse. Last one lasted 9 years, 180,000 miles, still going and I'm hoping for the same again.

Been obsessing for three weeks and am pretty excited, first new car! :-)

So...not a Monte, just plain ole SE trim. Pacific Blue

Extras:

- Curtain Airbags

- Sport Suspension (have emailed Skoda UK as there was a bit of confusion over this)

- Full-Size Spare Wheel

- 5-year extended warranty

- and...wait for it...under seat boxes. Yes folks, I know it's sad but I just want to be able to get all my clutter out of the boot.

Can you tell I'm a cautious type?

Inconspicuous is good as I have to leave it in quiet car-parks during the day. My current one is held together with duct-tape and no-one goes near it!

I actually don't want the alloys (I'm a mountain instructor and they'll just get trashed), so thought I might sell / exchange em for steels when it arrives.

What do you think all up?

if you swap to steelies permanently make sure you tell the insurance, as they may claim it affects handling in event of a claim

I know a number on here swap to steelies for winter tyres, and insurers have no issue, but always better to check and leave them no wriggle room

and...wait for it...under seat boxes.

? No worry 's I fitted them to mine.

Not much room in them but useful.

"just plain ole SE trim. Pacific Blue"

Nothing Plain here. A New SE is a very capable car. And its NEW.

Good luck with it, when you get it.

Thank you bluecar1 - I wouldn't have thought to do that.

Makes me wonder what else gives room to wriggle...different tyres? Non-Skoda brake pads? (sound of can of worms opening....)

@Carlo Diesel - thank you!!! :-D

Just to let you know I test-drove a 1.6 (105) tdi today and will be ordering one!

Will probably go for the sport suspension option as I prefer the feel of it (as per Greenline II), and I might get some marginally improved economy I suppose.

Many thanks for your invaluable advice - I really appreciate your expert help and now know I've made the right choice.

Alice

I have sports suspension on mine . Noticeably lower to look at.Does feel firmer than my old car without, but does handle better on bends. shame steering is not sharpened up aswell. Managed to get 61MPG or 595 miles on last tank of fuel

That 1.9TDI in your current Fabia is a very good lump for high mileages, rather noisy around town but good on the motorway. I think the smaller engines would be hard pressed to equal its motorway abilities though they might be a wee bit more frugal

That 1.9TDI in your current Fabia is a very good lump for high mileages, rather noisy around town but good on the motorway.

I'm starting to realise what a gem it is (was). If I could buy the same all over again I would. In fact the engine still sounds lovely (as far as I can tell), it's just that the rest of it is falling apart. MOTs are getting expensive...

I tried measuring economy brim-to-brim and got 61mpg with sub-70 motorway miles and everything else pretty much normal driving. So I should be glad just to equal that with the new one my the sounds of it.

Oooh - thanks for asking!

It's a really boring set-up, but the car will be a work-horse. Last one lasted 9 years, 180,000 miles, still going and I'm hoping for the same again.

Been obsessing for three weeks and am pretty excited, first new car! :-)

So...not a Monte, just plain ole SE trim. Pacific Blue

Extras:

- Curtain Airbags

- Sport Suspension (have emailed Skoda UK as there was a bit of confusion over this)

- Full-Size Spare Wheel

- 5-year extended warranty

- and...wait for it...under seat boxes. Yes folks, I know it's sad but I just want to be able to get all my clutter out of the boot.

Can you tell I'm a cautious type?

Inconspicuous is good as I have to leave it in quiet car-parks during the day. My current one is held together with duct-tape and no-one goes near it!

I actually don't want the alloys (I'm a mountain instructor and they'll just get trashed), so thought I might sell / exchange em for steels when it arrives.

What do you think all up?

You might be better going for SE + trim to be honest, get alot of extra kit for not alot more money

"You might be better going for SE + trim"

Thank you for pointing it out. I think, on balance, that the extra bits on the 'plus' are luxuries that in all honesty I don't really need. I would like to have them though, just have to keep it in perpective!

Also about the steel wheels, you're right - I phoned Direct Line and they said it would be an extra £50 (one off fee to alter the policy). Otherwise no change from my current insurance fee. Strange. But true.

• 2 months later...

Just a fullsome thank you to this forum for all the useful discussion and advice. :-)

I collected a brand new 1.6 tdi fabia SE a couple of weeks ago and I'm chuffed to bits with it. There are tons of small refinements from my old 1.9 fabia 1, all definitely improvements.

For long journeys it's perfect: quiet, long gears, no slight puLling to the left, comfortable seats, good adjustment of the driving position. Visibility and turning circle are both slightly better.

Economy is mid 50 mpg but I'm being careful to keep the revs up at the moment so I'm hoping that will improve to low 60s to match the old one once it's broken in.

Pleased with sport suspension, but it is noticably firmer so I can see it wouldn't suit everyone.

Only thing that I need to smooth out is downchanging from 3rd to 2nd - the 1.9 would just pull through anything but sometimes in town I find it's a bit in-between the two. Got to get used to a quick blip on the accellerator. Is this the right thing to do? Any tips?

A

That seems to be the big difference between modern Common Rail diesels and the older generation like your old PD unit - easier to stall (seemingly less torque at tickover) and if the revs drop just below turbo range you feel the big "hole" in torque.  Just my observation generally, and not Fabia specific.

That seems to be the big difference between modern Common Rail diesels and the older generation like your old PD unit - easier to stall (seemingly less torque at tickover) and if the revs drop just below turbo range you feel the big "hole" in torque.  Just my observation generally, and not Fabia specific.

Well, that is what is he most annoying for me, going from my Mk1 1.4 TDI PD to the Mk2 1.2 TDI CR. At intersections or roundabouts where I'm not coming to a full stop I could easily get through in 3rd or 2nd gear with the old car; with my GL I have to shift down into 1st, after first stalling in 2nd...

Anyway, as to the OP, I'm quite satisfied with the fuel economy of my GL for motorways in my neck of the woods, where the speed limit is 100kmh or 65mph. Speed limit elsewhere is 50mph or 80kmh. I manage to get around with 70mpg quite easily.

That said, if I were to do a lot of motorway driving, carrying heavy loads or living in an area with roads that wind up and down hills and mountains, I'd probably want the 1.6 engine.