Columbus ETAs

Not possible to select Skoda - or VW or Audi sadly.

As mentioned in another thread the Navteq download only works with the new Columbus. If you download the installation instructions it refers to an update button via the setup menu. This option isn't present on the older Columbus in the Superb.

• 3 weeks later...

These comments about ETAs and routing are painfully familiar to me, so much so that my 4 year old Garmin unit is getting stuck to the dashboard more than it ought to be because he gets it right every time. I'm fed up with being routed down minor roads (or non-existant ones) or finding my self 30 minutes early at the end of a journey.

I believe the problem is that the quality of some roads is ignored for routing and speed estimation, either because it's not encoded in the map data  on the HDD (most likely) or the firmware algorithm is not using this data.  Either way, it's inferior to the old Garmin which definitely knows about and uses this information.

The Columbus unit clearly know about the difference between motorways and other roads (the map shows that), but I don't think it knows much about those other roads and assumes an average speed of about 35 to 40 mph on them.  This is confirmed by a recent all-motorway journey in which the ETA was spot on, but the return journey, on A roads, was way out.  I think this is unacceptable in a modern unit (and an expensive one at that) when clearly Garmin (and Tom Tom) have been getting it right for years.

I have firmware 4026 and Map version 7690 (V8).  Either NavTeq or the firmware makers have a lot to answer for.

These comments about ETAs and routing are painfully familiar to me, so much so that my 4 year old Garmin unit is getting stuck to the dashboard more than it ought to be because he gets it right every time. I'm fed up with being routed down minor roads (or non-existant ones) or finding my self 30 minutes early at the end of a journey.

I believe the problem is that the quality of some roads is ignored for routing and speed estimation, either because it's not encoded in the map data  on the HDD (most likely) or the firmware algorithm is not using this data.  Either way, it's inferior to the old Garmin which definitely knows about and uses this information.

The Columbus unit clearly know about the difference between motorways and other roads (the map shows that), but I don't think it knows much about those other roads and assumes an average speed of about 35 to 40 mph on them.  This is confirmed by a recent all-motorway journey in which the ETA was spot on, but the return journey, on A roads, was way out.  I think this is unacceptable in a modern unit (and an expensive one at that) when clearly Garmin (and Tom Tom) have been getting it right for years.

I have firmware 4026 and Map version 7690 (V8).  Either NavTeq or the firmware makers have a lot to answer for.

Have you set the average speed option to "fast"?

The Columbus unit clearly know about the difference between motorways and other roads (the map shows that), but I don't think it knows much about those other roads and assumes an average speed of about 35 to 40 mph on them. This is confirmed by a recent all-motorway journey in which the ETA was spot on, but the return journey, on A roads, was way out.

I hear what you are saying and have experienced the same but, in my experiences, it seems to effect the route more than others in certain areas.

I found patches of North Cornwall and Western Wircestershire that she seems to choose dodgy routes on 'B' and even 'C' roads where there are perfectly good, if slightly longer, 'A' roads marked on the maps.

The shorter the journey and the higher number of lower classified roads around seem to lead to a lot of 'backstreet' driving.

The ETA's have seemed fairly accurate for most journeys though since I've set it to 'Fast' even though I drive 'steady'.

When I've used Tom Toms and Garmins and apps on phones (free and paid) they all have their foibles and none have been totally accurate in arrival times.

I think it comes down to what you are happy to accept in your circumstances and with your own priority list of important features.

The Columbus isn't perfect (I don't think any are) but it works well enough for me 85-90% of the time.