If anyone's considering ACC or driver assist upgrades

Had a loan Mk7 Golf for most of the week which had Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) and Driver Assist package.

Day one found it gimicky, but by today found it something very useful. The Speed limit function is a god send, and will be sorely missed now the usual VW wheels is back from needing a clutch at only 56K!!!!

I once posted on HJ about how I found the programmable speed limit on a Citroen Grand Picasso a great idea and well implemented only to be shot down in flames by all the resident wallies all saying that if I couldnt stick to a speed limit by myself without an "unecessary aid" that I shouldnt be allowed to drive. :wonder:

My concern with all these so called driver aids is, we will become to dependant on them. Yes what they can do is amazing, but will destroy the driving ability of many drivers and make them lazy. I'm just waiting on the first high profile court case about this equipment, and trying to blame the car for the crash and not the fact they were not paying attention.

My concern with all these so called driver aids is, we will become to dependant on them. Yes what they can do is amazing, but will destroy the driving ability of many drivers and make them lazy. I'm just waiting on the first high profile court case about this equipment, and trying to blame the car for the crash and not the fact they were not paying attention.

Actually couldnt agree more. I think the speed limiter feature of the new cruise control is very useful (but hardly new....Renaults of all things have had this for years) but ACC and emergency braking really are gimicky toys I could live without.....after all chances are if youre not paying attention and the car ends up doing an emergency stop for you high likelihood some plum will probably drive in to the back of you anyway.

I have no experience of this system, so do I assume correctly that cruise control has to be on for this systems to be active? Does it work at any speed? Thanks

Cruise will maintain a safe distance from the vehicle in front to allow for an emergency stop.

With cruise not in use, you get a warning icon on the display initially if too close, and if stupidly close beeping.

You can also use it manually to park very close to things. ;)

The key is in the word 'aid' all these things are designed to be helpful, and it used correctly will make driving safer, they are not in any way intended to replace the input given by the driver, cruise control for example is a great aid, set the speed and away you go, no drifting between speeds etc, OK you might say well if you cant keep a car at 70mph then you shouldnt be driving, but we have all been on a lotorway when teh car in front is speeding up and slowing down due to the driver no concentrating etc

So, I think all these driver aids are excellent, anything that can help make driving safer especially on our ever increasingly busy roads is good by me.

Take Parking Sensors for example, 10 years ago they were considered a bit of a gimmick and teh preserve of expensive cars, nowaadys pretty much most cars either have them or they are an inexpensive option, I use them all the time, not because I cant park because I can, they just allow me to know how close I am to the car behind me when parking, again all aids to make driving safer and more tolerable.

I dont agree with this nonsense about peopel saying 'rubbish' 'shouldnt be driving if you need these devics etc etc' absolute codswallop, these are modern day features that should and will become more mainstream!!

Roll on more toys!!!!

• Like 4

Cruise will maintain a safe distance from the vehicle in front to allow for an emergency stop.

With cruise not in use, you get a warning icon on the display initially if too close, and if stupidly close beeping.

You can also use it manually to park very close to things. ;)

Thank you for the explanation!