Felicia Diesel starting problem and Surging

Hi All,

I have a '98 Felicia 1.9D Estate.

Recently the car has become difficult to start (it turns over and over before firing). There also seems to be a surging problem that occurs sometimes at low revs when changing gear, but also when driving at a constant speed on the motorway without altering the accelerator position.

I noticed that the car is more difficult to start in the morning when it has been parked facing up hill rather than on the flat. I'm going to park it facing downhill tonight and see if it improves things.

The problems seem to have started occurring in the last few weeks, since I serviced it and replaced the fuel filter.

I'm guessing that there's an air leak somewhere and that fuel may be draining back to the tank overnight.

How firm should the white connector be on top of the fuel filter? Should it be pressed down tight and unable to move? I can wiggle the top of it from side to side slightly and wondered if air is being drawn in there.

If not, is it possible to test for vacuum leaks using carb cleaner as you would with a petrol engine?

The car had new glow plugs and a battery in January so I'm confident the starting issue is not that.

Could it be something completely different?

Thanks,

Rob.

Thanks Ken,

Well I parked it nose down last night and it was just as much a pain in the arse to start this morning :(. To be fair, it's only parked with the rear wheels on a kerb and the fronts on the road so not exactly a 1 in 1, but I was hoping it might prove the "Fuel draining back to the tank" theory.

I can't see or smell diesel anywhere.

Does anyone know how tightly pressed down the white fuel filter connector should be? And can I check for vacuum leaks with carb cleaner or will this not work on a diesel?

Can anyone suggest any other things to check? Maybe it's just coincidence that the problem seems to have started after servicing?

Cheers,

Rob.

I've put a new valve on and given it a run for a couple of miles. Hopefully it will start ok tomorrow. If there's air in it I assume the pump will drag it through and clear it within a few days. Is this right? I haven't got any clear hose bit will pick some up if it's still going to need bleeding?

Thanks for the help

Rob.

• 3 weeks later...

Well after replacing the control valve, fuel filter and all the rubber hoses the car still took ages to start. It's been taken to a repair garage where the diagnosis is either the immobiliser solenoid is not working properly or the fuel pump is dead. it's not sucking fuel apparently. I have dropped off another fuel pump for them that I had on a spare engine so hopefully this will cure it,- although the spare pump I had has been sitting around for 3 years so I don't know if it will be any good anyways! Fingers crossed.

Thanks for the help,

Rob.

If there is a problem with your immobilizer circuit, this link might help.

http://www.briskoda....biliser-how-to/

But an immobilizer doesn't get faulty out of the blue. Neither does a fuel pump.

Most probable it is fuel filter control valve/seal/tightness related. See below for servicing.

My impression is the mechanics know exactly it is something minor involved, if you catch my drift.

Because of this universal bad habit, we passed a legislation in Poland that makes mandatory for every garage to 1) allow customers stay near their car and watch the repair AND 2) provide an audio-video monitoring system hooked both to the garage waiting room and to internet.

sff01_zpsaf256870.jpg

sff01_zpsaf256870.jpg

Edited by adurer

Thanks for your replies. Unfortunatey the spare pump I had was also no good, so that car will be off to the scrap yard once I've removed any useful parts (new battery etc). If anyone wants to buy it as a non-runner with confirmed fuel pump failure, the details are: Black, Estate, 80K miles, 11 month MOT, Towbar, new: battery, front tyres, waterpump, glow plugs, oil filter, air filter (recently serviced) good brakes all round and as many spare parts in my garage as you would like to take with you, (engine, shockers, glass, electrics etc etc excluding a decent fuel pump!) and it was doing a genuine 50 MPG before it broke :(

The garage I use is run by my uncle so there's 0% chance they're trying it on.

Cheers,

Rob.

This is off to be scrapped tomorrow. Now I have a host of spare parts in my garage that are FREE to anyone who wants to collect. This list includes:

Diesel Engine (no fuel pump,- see above)

Gearbox

Alternator

Starter

Front shocks

Steering rack

Central Locking motors etc

All glass (excluding a front screen)

brake servo and master cylinder

and countless other parts that I'll add to the list later once I look through all the boxes. There's lots (almost a whole car's worth).

If you need anything, just drop me an email: [email protected]

Collection only from Rainham in Kent. Get them before I leave them outside for the metal man to collect!

Noooo! Another dead Felly!

Without sounding all theatrical, these cars have a place in my heart (GAY!) because it was the first car I have ever owned.

I know I sound hypocritical and whatnot but it's true. My diesel Felly was a trojan and I sorely miss it.

R.I.P :(

It's a shame. The car's sitting at the garage waiting to be towed. I put most of the heavier spare parts outside last night to get rid of them (some members of the local travelling community have collected them already this morning...) I still have bits and pieces left including most of the electrical stuff, the engine and gearbox. is there anything you need?