Virgin Media App

Gwilo

Quick question, as surfing the net doesn't yield any real clues here....

I've just upgraded to virgin media with TiVo. While I wait for my installation date, I decided to download the associated app, in readiness.

But when I attempt to sign in, it refuses to accepts my details, though these work fine to login on a conventional web browser to manage our account.

What am I missing here? Will the app only accept our login when the new service is installed and the order fulfilled?

i too have a virgin tivo box and a older box in the other room, do you want the virgin app on your device, so you can watch telly on it? if so you will need to wait till the box arrives i think, i tryed to do it with mine but it needed to be connected to the wifi or something so just left it, ask the engineer and he/she should be able to answer it,

well that's a bit more advanced than I was hoping for.......

I have to wait now till June 4th.........I've never had such a case of delayed gratification :giggle:

Are there any tips/tricks/useful features about this Tivo/on demand/ virgin superhub stuff?

We've been paying them almost the same amount for a good two years for substantially less broadband, phone and no TV, so we're taking a step into the great unknown.....

well that's a bit more advanced than I was hoping for.......

I have to wait now till June 4th.........I've never had such a case of delayed gratification :giggle:

Are there any tips/tricks/useful features about this Tivo/on demand/ virgin superhub stuff?

We've been paying them almost the same amount for a good two years for substantially less broadband, phone and no TV, so we're taking a step into the great unknown.....

the the tivo box is very advanced, you can search for any tv show,movie,celeb, can record 3 shows at a time, are you getting, the 1tb or 500gb? the UI is very clear and easy to use. the superhub is a router and modem in one so less cables and boxes

500gb, but if old experience of my old had recorder and ps3 is indicative, I should be able to shove some monstrous hdd in at some point in the future if required?

Personally, we've managed just fine with 250gb in the current recorder and we just burn movies off to DVD when required. I assume I'll still be able to do that?

500gb, but if old experience of my old had recorder and ps3 is indicative, I should be able to shove some monstrous hdd in at some point in the future if required?

Personally, we've managed just fine with 250gb in the current recorder and we just burn movies off to DVD when required. I assume I'll still be able to do that?

don't know there is no disc slot in in that i know of.

don't know there is no disc slot in in that i know of.

We just have a panasonic hdd/dvd recorder at present. I've read of some people hooking up their old V+ boxes to conventional DVD recorders to get shows/movies off. i know the tivo and v+ boxes don't have dvd drives, but just assuming that it should be possible to rig up an external.

EDIT - realised this really should be in The Tech Shed. Could a mod please relocate the thread, if possible?

Edited by Gwilo

we found the superhub not so super when asking it to be a router and a modem at the same time, so we ended up still using our own wireless router, and wiring it up to the superhub which we switched into "modem" mode.

tivo box is great for recording, we switched off the suggestions feature because we were only interested in maybe 1 programme in every 20 it suggested, and the suggestions folder was just gettting bigger and bigger.

we found the superhub not so super when asking it to be a router and a modem at the same time, so we ended up still using our own wireless router, and wiring it up to the superhub which we switched into "modem" mode.

I did the same thing and got a huge improvement. The wireless on the SuperHub is awful.

Was on the phoneto NTL Business the other day and the guy on the phone freely admitted that the SuperHub wasn't as good at it should be and that it is undergoing a "rethink", especially with the network enhancements being rolled out.

What i find strange is that the basic cable box is made by Cisco. Maybe Virgin should get them to do the networking stuff too. ;) ;)

the SuperHub wasn't as good at it should be and that it is undergoing a "rethink", especially with the network enhancements being rolled out.

According to reports and comments on forums going back to initial launch, the 'rethink' has been discussed. But nobody appears to want to make a decision it seems. Unless there's some contractual obligations to the manufacturer with stiff penalties for erly termination? One poster claimed the issues are down to the antenna - not enough of them and only on one side of the device and VM didn't want external aerials. So they could surely have just rebaged some already existing kit rather than have Netgear knock up something that's apparently substandard?

As I won't be around to supervise the installation, I'll be giving SWMBO specific instructions to keep the existing router modem (a netgear one, with no external aerials and smaller than the Superhub) in case we have to swtich to modem mode - good wifi performance is essential as we access movies on the laptop in bed, well away from the existing hub.

We've been with Virgin media almost 2 years now and have the 500Gb Tivo (currently on 2nd one as they insisted on replacing it when we moved house and took our a new contract!) and Superhub with the base 30Mbit connection. The Superhub wifi could be a bit flakey on occasion, but there was a recent firmware update a few months back (R37) which seems to have resolved that, although the admin UI is now more form over function :D

Moving house again in the next few months, hopefully, and we'll be weighing up Virgin against the other options. Tivo certainly knocks spots off Sky+HD and I'd be reluctant to give that up :D

Chris

As I won't be around to supervise the installation, I'll be giving SWMBO specific instructions to keep the existing router modem (a netgear one, with no external aerials and smaller than the Superhub) in case we have to swtich to modem mode - good wifi performance is essential as we access movies on the laptop in bed, well away from the existing hub.

On the assumption it's your property, they should leave it alone anyway. :)