skoda fabia 1.4

Hi, am about to but a Skoda Fabia tomoro but after i test drove it and pulled in, i noticed the chain was quite noisy when i Parker up. Is this normal? if anyone could help me please.

Hi, we've got an 02 plate 1.4mpi that's now got around 87k on the clock. The timing chain is relatively quiet on ours & it has full service history which is an important factor in wear/tear items. The recommended replacement interval is 120k but this is dependent on whether consistent/regular servicing has been applied with the right oil spec & general driving characteristics etc.

Are you sure it's the chain you're hearing as this engine can have a characteristic lumpiness? Check/verify the service history & if the mileage is creeping up then you could be faced with replacement! Cost wise I suspect you'd be looking at £200 + ?

Rob ;)

its a 02 mpi aswell. It has 55000 Miles on clock and a service history was recorded yearly. The salesman told me this was normal for a car with a chain but i wouldnt be so sure

its a 02 mpi aswell. It has 55000 Miles on clock and a service history was recorded yearly. The salesman told me this was normal for a car with a chain but i wouldnt be so sure

Hi, I think you're right to be cautious. That's low mileage for the year & sounds like you have some consistent service history there. If all is well the chain shouldn't be noisey, but as I say this engine is characteristically not the quietest & I would say my older higher mileage Felly runs quieter, apart from the transmission that is!

I always say if in doubt walk away, there's plenty more out there to view! ;)

Ok robk1 ill stay away from it..ive just found another One to view tommorow so ill see how it goes. :) Thank you

Hi, it doesn't do any harm to compare & contrast before taking the plunge. If you need any more help/advice please do re-post. :happy: