Grille removal

Help required. I am weather permitting hoping to black wrap my grille this weekend. Are there any tips I need to know on removing the grille without breaking it or damaging the retaining clips. I am also changing to the new look Skoda badge.

Billy

Edited by Bbmac

1x t20(I think) torx screw and use a 6mm socket to push on the clips to release them.

I think there's one T25 near the badge too..... The 6mm socket trick works a treat.

must be the weekend for it just about to do mine. are they just held togeather with screws or are there sticky pads in place aswell

The bottom edge of the silver part of the grille is held in with sticky pads I used number plate tape when I put mine back together

Regards whoosh

On the facelift it's an absolute pig to remove the surround from the grill. Getting it off the car is the easy bit!

I can vouch for the surround being a complete nightmare to seperate, mines split and I had to buy another surround just to get it fitted!

• 2 years later...

Just done this. 6mm socket was a top tip for getting it off the car, thanks.

For removing the trim from the grill I worked one side off first then went along the bottom prising the clips back and pushing them through with pliers. Had some kitchen roll shoved in the gap to prevent it clipping back together.

Lastly the top edge. Chopped up an old costa coffee card into strips. Prised open the lower of the top clips (including the 2 that go round the bottom of the badge housing part of the trim) and inserted a strip of the Costa card into each one, stopping it clipping back together. Once there was a bit of card in each one you can just hinge the silver trim away from the grill and that's it.

• Like 1

• 6 years later...

Sorry to revive this....  But can someone give me a bit of advice... I'm halfway through taking the grill off my 2011 octavia because the bonnet catch has gone. I have the torx screw out behind the skoda badge and the top of the grill came straight forward, as for yet bottom of the grill it seems to be FIRMLY in place, almost as if it's screwed into place. I a close to breaking it I reckon as have tried to pry it out as much as possible. 

Can I clarify, do I need to remove the chrome trim in full before the main black plastic grill will come away? 

Thank you!