Octavia 2.0 TDI DSG Elegance Review

Got a week long test of the Octavia 2.0 TDI 150 DSG Elegance hatchback as my new one isn't due until mid July, thought I'd share some things with everyone.....

Firstly some admissions about me, my previous cars and how I will compare this car to others out there.

I've had 30+ cars over the past 24 years from a variety of marques, pre-dominately Ford and Audi/VW. My current car is a Mondeo ST TDCI and is probably the best car I have ever had. Performance, economy, size and really great handling. So anything new has a lot to live up to. I want space, pace and looks.

The reason for the change... promotion at work comes with a company car so after considering the following: Audi A3, Audi A4, Mercedes C Class, BMW 3 series, VW Golf, VW Passat CC, Seat Leon, Ford Kuga & Skoda Octavia the Octavia won almost hands down for sheer amount of car for the money.

Anyhoo, enough of that. On with the review.

Looks:

I always thought from the internet pictures and TV ads that it was very similar to an Audi A4, in reality it's not quite the same but still a very good looking and well proportioned car. Previously all Octavias had a certain angle where they looked a bit ungainly but this one looks good all round. Wheels are ok (Standard multi spokes), my new one will have the optional 18" alloys and sports suspension so will look even better!

Inside:

What a nice place to be. heated leather, large screen satnav/media centre, well laid out dash. Loads of room in the back (I'm 6' 4" so it's imperitive that my teenage kids have legroom in the back and the Octavia does not dissapoint. With the drivers seat in my position I can get in the seat behind comfortably. 10/10 Skoda). Only gripe is that there is no kick plate when getting in - I'm used to the nice sliver plate with red ST written on it, only a small thing but a mass expanse of white doesn't look the same!

Driving:

Up until early last year I would have taken about 1uS to respond to any question about did I want a manual or auto with a blurting out of manual! (very loudly). That was until I had a 2.0TFSI Passat CC in the states as a hire car for a week. That came with the DSG gearbox and wow - totally changed my mind on auto's (so long as they're DSG!). Mated to a 2.0 TDI engine it is very laid back around town but has a nice turn of acceleration on open county lanes or on motorways. I was worried by the reviews of these cars when all motoring journalists hack on about the rear suspension being beam and not independant and was apprehensive about how it would handle. All I can say is that where a mondeo ST gives positive feedback from the front end, the Skoda gives neutral feedback but the chasis never once felt wallowly, unbalanced or poor. It handles changes of direction, speed bumps, fast corners, slow town driving all within its stride. Have no fear, the chasis and suspension is fine.

Comparing the drive to a Golf or Leon FR which both have independant rear suspension leaves very very little between them. Really nothing to get hung up about.

The engine is ok, I'm really not sure how VW got another 10HP from their 2.0 litre lump without getting any extra lb/ft torque but it pulls well from low rpm to high in the rev range (high for a diesel anyway) without getting rattly, it just gets a throaty growl to the exhaust note over 3500rpm but the Mondeo is no different in that respect. Economy looks to be mid 40's which I was expecting. When taking the Golf & Leon out I used the same test route, zero'd the computer and managed 40.1 & 44.4 respectively. Seeing that the lowest urban figure I shoudl have hit was 55ish (60+ combined) I knew the offical figures are just someone's imagination and should only be used to say car A is more economic than car B. So Mid 40's with shall we say energetic driving every now and then makes for a good economic engine.

The gearbox is a little beauty, still feels strange with the stop start system killing the engine when you're stopped (until you lift off the brake). And it also likes to putter along in 4th at 30mph so if you drop to say 20 then go to accelerate back to 30 it drops 2 cogs to 2nd gear and you get better acceleration that you were expecting!

It's a little worrying that you're at a roundabout, foot on brake, engine stopped waiting for a space.... you lift off the brake, engine starts but your foot is already on the accelerator but nothing is happening then surge - and you're away. I know it can be turned off but I want to see what the total economy figure is with this stop/start malarky before I decide whether to leave it on or off.

The sport, eco, normal mode was played with for a bit. normal = perfectly ok, little sluggish response and light steering, sport = heavier steering (nice) and better response but it holds gears far too long when gently plodding along, it should really monitor your driving better and only hold the gear if the acceleration requires it.

Conclusion:

The Octavia is a very nice place to be, the gearbox is a peach (especially with the flappy paddles), full auto or with a flick of your fingers it's a manual. The engine is torquey and looks to be good on economy, pulls well and has a decent turn of speed, not sure how much of a gimmick the 3 engine modes are. Huge boot, plenty of legroom and if you spec the park assist, heated screen and sunroof (like I did) you'll have plenty of toys to keep you amused! It's not a 300lb/ft monster like the Mondeo but it's new, smart and my only cost will be fuel so win,win.

• Like 1

Many thanks for posting your impressions, I've only had a couple of test drives in a manual before I ordered my car. I was sorely tempted by DSG, but at a cost of some £1,300 and - according to the official figures around 5 mpg worse than the manual - I ducked out on that. Maybe next time.

I tried the manual and DSG back to back in the Golf GT and Leon FR.

In both cars the DSG was 'better' - they're not the most powerful cars in the world (150HP & 236lb/ft is good but not amazing) and the DSG box allows the car to change gear when needed so it feels quicker (instead of moving your left foot and left arm)!!!

Economy tests the DSG was within 0.5mpg of the manual box on both cars (according to the computer) driven in the same manner.

If the 184HP diesel had been available at the time (March this year) I would have that coupled to a manual in a heartbeat. Soooo much torque.

Roads are getting more congested, I'm getting older and lazier, DSG wins hands down!

The 2.0 definitely has it.

According to the skoda website the 1.6 has it ( and the website is never wrong!!!!)

Bit annoying, hope its worth the economy gain. Heavy traffic it's on and off constantly.

At least it's a better system than the manual

DSG - car stops, foot on brake, engine stops. As you release brake engine starts

MANUAL - you need to put it in neutral and lift off clutch before engine stops, press clutch again and it starts.

Will Keep the 2nd hand market in batteries and starter motors going for some time. Can't imagine them lasting as long as a non start stop system car even if they are heavier duty.

I drive a manual (not a fan of automatics, but not in a bad way (if that makes sense?)) I'm quite happy putting the hand break on and putting the gear in the neutral, I don't think it adds any time at all, I can't wait to use the stop/start system when I'm waiting at the train gates every morning for work. That'll save me a bit of petrol each day :)

Edited by WallaceSteve

I drive a manual (not a fan of automatics, but not in a bad way (if that makes sense?)) I'm quite happy putting the hand break on and putting the gear in the neutral, I don't think it adds any time at all, I can't wait to use the stop/start system when I'm waiting at the train gates every morning for work. That'll save me a bit of petrol each day :)

I agree the stop start system is much better than the one I had on a mini a few years ago, it starts without any lag and as the petrol engine warms up so quickly it the system starts working within a couple of minutes from starting from cold

• Like 1

I agree the stop start system is much better than the one I had on a mini a few years ago, it starts without any lag and as the petrol engine warms up so quickly it the system starts working within a couple of minutes from starting from cold

Awesome, I do like the sound of the stop/start system and I also like the handbrake, I'm an old fashioned kind of person who likes a real one and not a fancy electric one, though I can see why people like the electric ones. I'm glad the engine warms up nice and quickly which is handy as I drive over nothing but hills to and from work every day.....

• Like 1

I didn't see those when I picked my options, 18" alloys, sunroof, park assist, flappy paddles, winter pack & heated screen.

Sill plates make a surprising difference!

I didn't see those when I picked my options, 18" alloys, sunroof, park assist, flappy paddles, winter pack & heated screen.

Sill plates make a surprising difference!

They are dealer fit, so you can add them anytime :happy:

Edited by Matt Pez

Update for everyone regarding the seats:

Every time I get into the car I keep thinking that I've hit something on the side of the seat with my trousers and got caught (seat adjuster) but after 2 days of this I figured it out.....

The full leather upholstery isn't very 'slippery' so once my bum hits it I kinda stayput and have to almost lift up again to position myself correctly. Didn't have any issues at the stealership when I tried the leather & alcantara option. Looks like I made the right choice as my one will have the alcantara middle section.

One thing to feel smug about though if you did order the full leather - it feels much better than a new Leon FR with full leather. That was rock hard, Octavia is very comfortable (execpt when getting in).

Just had a test drive today - Octy III Elegance 2.0 diesel DSG.

Loved: Ride, quiet, smooth, stop/start so easy (did not work when A/C was on!). A step up the ladder, no doubt.

Hated: Where has the right foot rest gone? What a ridiculous shortcoming! I got in a 40 limit, and clicked on the cruise control and went to put my foot on the foot rest. It wasn't there. There isn't any space to put my foot to the right of the accelerator. How uncomfortable is that? In a bigger car, they remove a bit of space. Basically it is a complete deal breaker for me.

Disliked: Where has the dashboard top coin and pens and bits & bobs holder gone? Another little money saving excercise?

Looks like I will be sticking with my Octy II until it dies.

Where has the right foot rest gone? What a ridiculous shortcoming! I got in a 40 limit, and clicked on the cruise control and went to put my foot on the foot rest. It wasn't there. There isn't any space to put my foot to the right of the accelerator. How uncomfortable is that?

I thought that at first as SWMBO has the Octy II. I had a Superb before the Octy III and it had the same problem so you had to either rest your foot on the pedal lightly or on the wheel arch but after a few miles with the new Octy, I have realised that there is space for your foot under the accelerator pedal when using cruise as it is top mounted whereas the Octy II and Superb are bottom mounted accelerator pedals. Not an ideal solution but I can get more comfortable than in the Superb.

Just had a test drive today - Octy III Elegance 2.0 diesel DSG.

Loved: Ride, quiet, smooth, stop/start so easy (did not work when A/C was on!). A step up the ladder, no doubt.

Hated: Where has the right foot rest gone? What a ridiculous shortcoming! I got in a 40 limit, and clicked on the cruise control and went to put my foot on the foot rest. It wasn't there. There isn't any space to put my foot to the right of the accelerator. How uncomfortable is that? In a bigger car, they remove a bit of space. Basically it is a complete deal breaker for me.

Disliked: Where has the dashboard top coin and pens and bits & bobs holder gone? Another little money saving excercise?

Looks like I will be sticking with my Octy II until it dies.

There's no dash top holder for bits and bobs as pointed out but there is a good sized cubby hole to lower right of steering wheel thats big enough to swallow quite a bit.

Can't agree with your money saving comment though, i doubt you got a phone holder, ice scraper and boot dividers in the Octy II free as part of the standard spec

• 2 weeks later...

There's no dash top holder for bits and bobs as pointed out but there is a good sized cubby hole to lower right of steering wheel thats big enough to swallow quite a bit.

Can't agree with your money saving comment though, i doubt you got a phone holder, ice scraper and boot dividers in the Octy II free as part of the standard spec

No, but the Octy II has that same cubby to the right of the steering wheel, so I'm still going to be down on spec that I use. Let me think, my phone sits in my pocket, my ice scraper cost £2.50, and the last thing I want is to divide my boot - how would I get the golf gear in?

I thought that at first as SWMBO has the Octy II. I had a Superb before the Octy III and it had the same problem so you had to either rest your foot on the pedal lightly or on the wheel arch but after a few miles with the new Octy, I have realised that there is space for your foot under the accelerator pedal when using cruise as it is top mounted whereas the Octy II and Superb are bottom mounted accelerator pedals. Not an ideal solution but I can get more comfortable than in the Superb.

Sorry but I found that seriously uncomfortable - my foot had to be stretched out so my toes were almost pointed. I cannot imagine having to sit like that for the 800 miles I've just done over the last week!

Sorry but I found that seriously uncomfortable - my foot had to be stretched out so my toes were almost pointed. I cannot imagine having to sit like that for the 800 miles I've just done over the last week!

I guess its down to the person then as I didnt have an issue with comfort in 6,000 miles in five weeks in the Yeti and thats identicle in terms of setup. :)

I've done just over 1000 mile so far and I find it significantly more comfortable than my old Superb. The seats are definitely better for me, and the lack of heat retention due to no plasticy leather on the seat base/back is a particular bonus with the new Octy III Elegance's standard alcantara seats compared to the Superb II Elegance's leather seats.

I don't push my right foot completely under the accelerator but I do find that the extra room below the pedal is better than the Superb as the floor mounted pedal gave you absolutely nowhere to go. Admittedly, this is still not as good as the Octy II though as the right foot rest was definitely one of the best features, I can't understand why they could not fit one in as the Octy III is a wider car!

I've done just over 1000 mile so far and I find it significantly more comfortable than my old Superb. The seats are definitely better for me, and the lack of heat retention due to no plasticy leather on the seat base/back is a particular bonus with the new Octy III Elegance's standard alcantara seats compared to the Superb II Elegance's leather seats.

I don't push my right foot completely under the accelerator but I do find that the extra room below the pedal is better than the Superb as the floor mounted pedal gave you absolutely nowhere to go. Admittedly, this is still not as good as the Octy II though as the right foot rest was definitely one of the best features, I can't understand why they could not fit one in as the Octy III is a wider car!

Under the accelerator? I assumed it was to the side where the Octy 2 used to have a rest space for the right foot?

Under the accelerator? I assumed it was to the side where the Octy 2 used to have a rest space for the right foot?

No, both the Superb II and Octy III do not have the space to the right of the accelerator that the Octy II has!! But the only slight compromise on the Octy III is due to the accelerator being top hinged, not floor hinged, there is a gap under the pedal that give you a little more space to rest your foot when using cruise. :(

Edited by Matt Pez