eeeek just put 55 litres in the tank

I ran mine to about 15 miles after it showed a range of 0 miles last night and managed to get 55 litres in the tank. This was at a pump that is brand new and was calibrated a couple of weeks ago. There must have been a few litres left in the tank, so including the filler neck I would say 60 litres is possible.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 4 Beta

First: I think that trusting the maxidot "range" figure is foolish, given the maxidot inaccuracy about consumption AND the fact that it just calculates the remaining range on the basis on previous average consumption.

You know that old joke about the guy stopped by police for speeding and justifying himself by saying he was trying to arrive before running out of fuel?

Second: I suspect that all tanks are far larger than advertised. Or it's the indicator...

Yesterday I filled up just after the reserve light came on. Exactly 50 litres went in. The handbook says I have a 55 l tank and the reserve is 9 l.

There's a 4 l mistake somewere.

Same happens with my Suzuki V-Strom.

Tank indicator is always very pessimistic. I think that when it says the tank's empty, there are still 3-4 l left. And that even in a comparatively smaller bike tank (mine is 22).

Edited by duro

The needle had been showing an empty tank for about 20 miles or so, and I had driven 250 miles back from London up the M40, M42, M6 toll, M6, M62, M60, M66 at a pretty steady 70ish so Maxidot had plenty of time to work out the average fuel consumption and range.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 4 Beta

I would guess that everything is built to ensure that there will be no complaints from people running out of fuel.

Tank claimed to be 55 litres but probably a little bit more (expansion gap, margin for error etc.)

Range left to fill? Well last thing hey want is a complaint because someone ran out of fuel 1 mile from petrol station with the range showing 2 miles left. My last car used to cut off at 25 miles remaining range to get around is, and yes I did run out of fuel by using the trip to try and beat this on one occasion.

Plus the filler neck is probably good for a litre or 2.

So all in all up to 10% might not be unexpected.

• Like 1