16inch steel spare wheel for a Fabia Elegance 1.6 TDI CR 105 Estate

Yesterday took delivery of my new Fabia Eligance Estate 1.6 TDI CR 105 and paid for full steel spare wheel only to find it was 15 inches not 16 inches as the four alloys. When ordered car from dealer, new style corporate - only interested in bonus, told me it was full size. I therefore left my 15 inch steel spare and kit in my old Fabia 1.9 TDI SE Estate when I sold it.

Does any one know where I can buy a compatible steel wheel, 6.5J x 16 inches with a Dunlop 205/45 R16 83W tyre that will fit into my boot well because Skoda UK only do a 15 inch steel.

Thanks.

Yesterday took delivery of my new Fabia Eligance Estate 1.6 TDI CR 105 and paid for full steel spare wheel only to find it was 15 inches not 16 inches as the four alloys. When ordered car from dealer, new style corporate - only interested in bonus, told me it was full size. I therefore left my 15 inch steel spare and kit in my old Fabia 1.9 TDI SE Estate when I sold it.

Does any one know where I can buy a compatible steel wheel, 6.5J x 16 inches with a Dunlop 205/45 R16 83W tyre that will fit into my boot well because Skoda UK only do a 15 inch steel.

Thanks.

Can't help you to locate one but as a comment, I too was surprised to find my spare is only 15", I suppose the " full size" remark from the salesman refers to the wheel being 'full size' as opposed to the skinny little excuse for a wheel you get with some models. At least the 15" IS a full size 15" wheel!! There is not a lot of room around the wheel in the wheel well which made me wonder, will a 16" wheel fit in there and if not then thats obviously the reason Skoda had to put in a 15" ??

Can't help you to locate one but as a comment, I too was surprised to find my spare is only 15", I suppose the " full size" remark from the salesman refers to the wheel being 'full size' as opposed to the skinny little excuse for a wheel you get with some models. At least the 15" IS a full size 15" wheel!! There is not a lot of room around the wheel in the wheel well which made me wonder, will a 16" wheel fit in there and if not then thats obviously the reason Skoda had to put in a 15" ?? The 15" spare is marked up with the yellow warning that it is only to be used as a temporary spare.

Thanks.

All "full size spares" for Fabias are the 195/55-15 which is standard size on some of the small Fabias like the HTPs.

For the Fabia HTP I have ordered, over time, 4 spares wheel/tyre combos so I have a fulll set of alternate winter tyre rims with tyres.

For the VRS I have ordered two of the stardard rims ie 17" white alloys on this car, then bought a pair of Michelin Piot Sport 3s plus I have a full set of winter Snow and Mud tyres which are brilliant in the winter/cold conditions. All 17", all V rated.

Even the 17" winters 205/40-17" fit in the tyre well no problem.

Just to clarify that the wheel and tyre you have will fit your car. The wheel is 15 inch but the tyre profile is 55, so that the wheel and tyre have the same diameter and radius as your 16 inch alloys with a 45 profile tyre. The speed limit shown can effectively be ignored - you will have one tyre which is 195 wide while the other three are 205, so not a huge difference. Save your money!

• Like 2

Just to clarify that the wheel and tyre you have will fit your car. The wheel is 15 inch but the tyre profile is 55, so that the wheel and tyre have the same diameter and radius as your 16 inch alloys with a 45 profile tyre. The speed limit shown can effectively be ignored - you will have one tyre which is 195 wide while the other three are 205, so not a huge difference. Save your money!

That's useful info and makes a lot of sense when you think about it!

Thanks for the replies.

On the 15" spare wheel supplied it states, 'Do not exceed 50 mph'. I do a lot of miles and if I drive with the spare 15" and a 16" on the front, I assume that I will notice a difference compared to two 16" on the front?

lol-lol

I tried fitting the 15" alloy on my Fabia 2 Estate 1.9 TDI 105 bhp in the wheel well. There was enough space to fit wheel diameter but the height (width) was too tall and the floor cover would not lie flat as with the 15" steel spare.

Edited by Diesel Estate

lol-lol

I tried fitting the 15" alloy on my Fabia 2 Estate 1.9 TDI 105 bhp in the wheel well. There was enough space to fit wheel diameter but the height (width) was too tall and the floor cover would not lie flat as with the 15" steel spare.

Weird. Both our Fabias are hatches but I would be surprised if that means different tyre wells. Think it is a close fit and if you do not get it sat properly and tightened down it can lift the floor slightly but alway managed to get the floor flat even with the 17" tyres.

• 10 months later...

Simples really,

Take off one of your wheels and try it in the Spare Tyre well and see if it fits, then you will know one way or another.

I have a 17" Gigaro with a 215/40 R17 tyre in the Spare Tyre well of a vRS Hatch and it fits flush & then the floor coses as normal.

I have has 225/35 R 18 in but that was a tighter squeeze but fitted.

http://kouki.co.uk/utilitites/visual-tyre-size-calculator.

Standard Spare is 15" Steel and Tyre to the almost identical Total Diameter./Circumference.

It is not a Space Saver that they offer as an Option.

the 195/55 R 15 Steel Wheel & Tyre is as comes fitted to some Mk2 Fabias on all 4 corners.

Being 15" is not a Problem.

But if you have a 16" or 17" on with a wider tyre, you will want to slow down while the spare is fitted.

But if you are carrying a 16 or 17" with a Different width Tyre, or the car has directional Tyres 

& the Spare is not, you still need to slow down until you have 4 matching tyres on again.

• 4 months later...

Hi everyone

Eventually got a 16 inch alloy and tyre free from Skoda because of the broken loom bracket in the bonnet.  Long story but the lesson is, inspect the car before paying your money or better get an independent inspection carried out!  Good point is the alloy with tyre fits perfectly into estate well.

Tried to put the spare on, on Friday only to find out the tyre size is correct but the Dunlop Sport MAXX type is RT not ordinary as other four tyres.  Took tyre back today to get it replaced.

Will keep you posted.

Diesel Estate