Tdi flat spot / hesitation

I get this problem around 2500 rpm , i get this fault when i am accelerating up a hill or having to pull away quickly at a junction.

Sometimes it feels like the engine is dieing for a second.

Yesterday i was driving and this happened, I was going up a steep hill i could here the usual sound of the turbo then when the problem occured it made a sound like a hoover when you put your hand over the end, It only does the problem for a moment as usually i back the throttle of and then it fine again ?

I usually drive the car around town quite a bit, i drive quite calmly with fuel econommy in mind !

I have asked about this fault before and the temp sensor was suggested which i have changed.

I have put forte turbo cleaner & injector through the sysytem, Personaly i think the fault is slowly getting worse.

I am not getting any lights on the dash.

I have had the ecu read tonight and it had fault code 17965 which i believe means Charge Pressure Control: Positive Deviation ?

Does this i have stick vains on my turbo ?

How quickly do the vains get carboned up ?

Quite possibly stick vanes. If you catch it early enough, you might find an Italian tune up (or 10) will do the trick.

Otherwise try manually exercising the actuator on the turbo to move the vanes, it should move smooth and quietly.

Mr Muscle won't do any harm - for it to work, you need to move the actuator through its full travel (the more times the better).

The problem with carbon getting on the vnt vanes is that you cannot do anything from 'outside' the turbo, the gumming up happens inside. You can exercise the mechanism which may help short term. An Italian tune up (or several) as previously suggested will also help but not totally cure it.

I've used 10K boost in the past which worked perfectly if you follow the instructions to the letter. I've also had turbos taken off and soaked in petrol overnight which fixed the problem fully.

Do not treat VAG TDI PD engines with kid gloves, drive them gently and they will reward you with stuck turbo vnt vanes, they need to be worked hard quite often to keep them clean.

The problem with carbon getting on the vnt vanes is that you cannot do anything from 'outside' the turbo, the gumming up happens inside. You can exercise the mechanism which may help short term. An Italian tune up (or several) as previously suggested will also help but not totally cure it.

I've used 10K boost in the past which worked perfectly if you follow the instructions to the letter. I've also had turbos taken off and soaked in petrol overnight which fixed the problem fully.

Do not treat VAG TDI PD engines with kid gloves, drive them gently and they will reward you with stuck turbo vnt vanes, they need to be worked hard quite often to keep them clean.

The Mr muscle approach is not outside the turbo, your spraying it directly into the exhaust side of the turbo. Also the injection pump engines seem to be more prone than the pd engines.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

• Like 1

It clears quite quickly, So i guess this is more pointers towards the turbo vains sticking ?

Did you have to cycle the ignition to go back to normal? If not then it won't be limp mode.

• Like 1

No just let the throttle off, then tried again 10 secs later and it would pull but i dont think as well as normal, I am torn between doing the mr muscle treatment or the innotec ???

That shouldn't be limp mode, so you may not have an issue with the turbo. Worth getting the car scanned for fault codes. Could be something like the maf.

The ecu was read tuesday night thats when i got ecu read and it had fault code 17965.

That is an over boost fault which you typically get with sticky vanes but the doesn't seem to be going into limp mode. I assume they cleared the fault, you need to see if it comes back. That could could have been logged once and just been sitting there.

May car would sometimes hang back and then be ok the next time I requested power, so this might be the early onset of sticky vanes.

I would start by checking to see if the actuator on the turbo moved smoothy, and then after that consider the MAF, MAP and CTS along with vacuum issues.

I personaly think mbames could be right, Thats why i am thinking it could be mr muscle time ?

I have noticed another strange happening, When the car is hot and i start it again quite soon after a run, It will stall then i start again and its like its running on 2 or 3 cylinder makes terrible noises, I will quickly turn off then on again and its like nothing was wrong ????

Mr Muscle won't do any harm - check to see how the actuator on the turbo moves before hand though.

what colour is the exhaust is the exhaust while it sound really rough?