Rear springs and ride height

I have a 2007 Octavia Estate 2.0TDI Elengance, 51000 miles on the clock.

I was wondering whether anybody could advise me on the correct rear ride height with healthy springs. I think my car looks like it's sitting a little low at the back when empty (lower than the front). The real problem, however, is when we tow our caravan, the rear sags enough to cause the caravan jockey wheel to ground on large speed bumps. I've seen quite a few newer Octavias on the road that seem to ride a lot higher at the back than ours. Is it normal for the rear springs to sag significantly after 51000 miles?

I'm thinking of getting the rear springs replaced, but don't want to waste money if it won't make much difference.

I know spring assisters can be fitted, but I want to explore the possibility of replacing the original springs before I think about adding any modifications that might affect my insurance. I am towing with 70-75kg noseweight (which is the limit), and the car is not overloaded.

Thanks in advance.

IIRC my detachable tow hitch has a max.nose weight of 50kg. I don't tow and have a clamp-on bicycle rack which I reckon with two bikes is around the 50kg mark. Car does sag a bit with full camping gear and have grounded the underside of the towbar on access ramps. Sits level when unloaded though.

My springs are healthy, don't seem to have a problem, good load in the back after a 2 week holiday, 75kg noseweight and also remember the noseweight becomes part of the cars payload when hitched up.

8463605885_47a3e27bcc.jpg

Thanks Yorkshire, that pic is useful for comparison. My setup is similar to yours, but I reckon mine is looking lower at the back (although it's hard to compare exactly).

I think I will go for new springs and see if it helps.

P.S. just noticed you have the 4x4. Don't these have stiffer springs anyway?

post-95396-0-60181100-1370973892_thumb.jpg

Edited by iscacamper