Dangerous swaying from rear

Guest BigJase88

Guest BigJase88

(On my leon mk1 but essentially an octavia)

Got a bit of a dangerous issue

When pressing on say 60+ over uneven roadsurfaces the rear end goes light and sways from side to side quite severly!

Running a 28mm neuspeed rarb! Just wondered if it may be this!

At a loss to what it is! But definately needs sorting

Guest BigJase88

I have my coilovers at a decent height too!

Probably only 15-20mm lower than standard! Also running good coilovers (kw v1's) and are only a year old

I have changed just about everything underneath and had it on 4 wheel alingment machine at work loads of times but it still wonders about at speed,

infact this is the only car i've never given a top speed run as it just doesn't feel safe, now i have it sat how i won't it am going to start and have a play with tracking and see if i can get it to feel better at motorway speed as it tramlines quiet badly at moment but that could be down to my odd front tyres but there about to be changed as there on just about on legal limit

Guest BigJase88

It seems to me mine is on undulating roads where one side of the road differs to the other, it just sends the car in to what is essentially like a mini jack-knife! It isnt the best feeling in the world!

Snakes rather quite violently at the rear from side to side!

Im thinking the rarb thats on it may be making it worse as there is less flex in it so maybe accentuating the issue!

Above 60mph its not much fun

Guest BigJase88

That was one of my thoughts!

To me the look okay (well from what i can see)

Mot is next month so suppose i'll see if anything is picked up!

Might be worth replacing them but i really cba rolling around on the drive (again) :(

Hand kinda the same thing

When i had lowerd my car right down low it made it so there was not a lot of movment up and down on the spings,

So when taking corners and bumps it would feel like the tractions was getting lost by the body roll lifting the wheel up as there was not a movment there ???

Try rasing the car back up to its max hight and see if you get any change ?? only thing i can think off if you have looked and all the rest

hi mate, def check the rear beam bushes, they can be responsible for a lot of movement....however i also suspect the fact you are running a 28mm bar, with a stock front has something to do with it (or at least is exaggerating the issue) as its unbalanced (as we suggested to you when you fitted it). Are all your front bushes ok too?

Volvomeg, you checked all your bushes?

there is no reason a well setup car, with decent suspension and decent bushes should have the issues you are, so something is def wrong...

Guest BigJase88

My front bushes are all poly urethane! Tight as a nut!

Thing is the bar grips like shizz round bends! Its only on the straights

May just bin the bar as i really cant be chuffed changing the rear beam bushes and see how i get on from there

rear beam bushes are a pain to do but worth doing, especially as your front end is poly.

problem is, you cant go anywhere just around corners, you need to do some straight driving too, so something is outta check thats for sure, and needs sorting asap by the sound of it before you crash.

How long has it been doing it?

Guest BigJase88

The rarb highlighted it and its been getting worse over time! :o

Looks like im going to have to poly bush the rear beam doesn't it :(

Personally, I find the rear beam bushes much easier to replace on the MkIV Golf platform than the front arm bushes, but then I do totally drop the beam out of the car (also fairly simple job).

The original bushes are usually easier to remove than the front arm bushes, and fitting the Superpro beam bushes couldn't be easier, since they're two piece.

Guest BigJase88

I wont be fitting the superpro rear bushes as they are £100 which quite frankly is rediculous!

Probably going to fit flo flex ones at £40!

Ive done the front end completely so hopefully shouldnt be too bad! Now to buy some motivation :o

Personally, I find the rear beam bushes much easier to replace on the MkIV Golf platform than the front arm bushes, but then I do totally drop the beam out of the car (also fairly simple job).

The original bushes are usually easier to remove than the front arm bushes, and fitting the Superpro beam bushes couldn't be easier, since they're two piece.

What's your bush removing method dude? Hack em out?

Drift and hammer. Done three so far without too much resistance, although it would seem I've been lucky. Normally if need be, I'd make a press tool out of a very large socket, threaded bar, nuts and washers, but no need as yet. Front arms are a different story though. I resort to using an arbor or hydraulic press for those, if available.

I should add that I have some VERY large drifts, mostly made from Kingpins off various vehicles... Transits, Massey Fergusons, etc.

• Like 1

Volvomeg, you checked all your bushes?

there is no reason a well setup car, with decent suspension and decent bushes should have the issues you are, so something is def wrong...

My car is fully superpro polybushed, complete r32 front end and 25mm eibach roll bar to match front end and jom plus coilovers

Guest BigJase88

Bought some floflex rear beam bushes so will fit them when they come

Why replace when you can uprate! Thats my theory anyways :)