A little turbo help required

Hi all,

The turbo on my octy (4x4 elegance, 150hp ARX) has started making quite a whoooing noise now, mostly audible when i'm manouvreing and driving off after it's cold.

I'm pretty sure it's got to be the bearings failing, is there any sure fire way to tell if it's on the way out?

Also, anyone know of a good garage in the hampshire area for getting it removed/replaced? Found a place that can refurb for £100+vat (more if it's not just the bearings)

Not really the sort of job i'd like to try and do myslef sadly.

£100 to refurb a turbo ? wow thats good

I have the same 4x4 as you and mine was making some strange sounds and passing oil when left for 20min ticking over

But dropped my sump 1st and found 50% or more of the filter was block with crap

So i gave it a good clean and refitted the sump new oil+filter and have not had any probs :)

I would do that befor doing your turbo if you have not done so already

Hi and thnx for the replies, hmm thinking about it, it did actually start making the noise a couple of days after an oil and filter change, coincidence?

I made a sound clip this morning when leaving for work, but can't post it up on here at the moment, on my phone till this afternoon, could email it tho....and it's deffo a wooooing noise as opposed to a whoosh, certainly not the usual boost noise.

Checked out your website too www.cntuning.co.uk, not too far from me, and I work in Winchester so only a blast down the M3, got your number and I'll give you a buzz a bit later.

PS: the cars done 132k now

Edited by RichieB75

Ahh forgot to mention some odd behaviour too, the cars been remapped and usually boost wise it peaks at around 16 and settles down at about 12 psi.

However, occasionally it peaks and stays at around 5 psi, doesn't matter how hard I accelerate or anything, just goes to a max of 5. If I restart the engine then it goes back to normal. When it does this it runs ok and no warning lights or anything, not limp mode as it's done that once before and it was very obviously limp mode!

Maybe the mechanic caught a breather pipe when doing the oil filter and caused it to split if it was close to failure anyway? Get it to Clive for some diag to be certain as there's no point guessing. :)

yup been and seen Clive, no leaks! which is actually bad.... mot test tomorrow to make sure theres nothing else wrong then so long as its good to go it'll be a turbo recon

Edited by RichieB75