1.8 TSi oil burning and oil pressure

2y 11 months and 30,000 miles. Low oil level warning light 6 months ago and needed just over 1ltr of oil to bring the level back up. Last month low oil pressure light came on!

Skoda have been superb so far but I have just been told, following a 3 week road test, that they have taken the pistons out and are talking to Skoda about new pistons and liners or a replacement engine.

As the saying goes, I will keep you informaed.

Mal.

I trust they checked all the other avenues before dismantling your car, not sure how the 1.8 gets it's delivery from the tank but if it comes though a tandem pump these leak and your oil may well be being burned as fuel, that would emmulate worn rings, simple check would be to open the fuel filter and test for oil, or the turbo could be sucking it in, worth asking.

Edited by Supurbia

The proposed fix is new pistons and rings plus the chain and tensioner while they are at it as its a known issue. I’m going over to inspect the engine tomorrow. I’ve asked if they will run a glaze buster down the bores and I am waiting for an answer.

When I’m there I plan to also check the turbo and if possible the camshafts. The pictures I’ve seen so far show negligible wear on the pistons, bores and big end bearings.

So some questions;

1. Is this the cause of the oil loss?
  2. Is this an adequate repair?
  3. Does this engine have replaceable cylinder liners?
  4. Will I be looking at an engine replacement in a few years time?
  5. Should Skoda extend the warranty?
  6. Should I exchange the car now and expect Skoda to help towards the costs?

Mal.

All done under warranty? If so that is a good result and should take away any worry about the timing slipping in the future due to tensioner failure.

Yes, all under warranty. Viewed the engine and it is excellent condition except for very rough piston rings and a surprising amount of carbon on the tops of the pistons. The plan is to replace the parts above and I've also asked for the oil pump to be replace as it seems silly not to while the engine is on the bench. Now I just need some certainty that the repair will last a few years at least...