Fabia Scout TSi Vs. Fabia Hatch 1.6 TDi - opinion please!

Hey guys and gals,

My wife owns a platinum grey Fabia Scout. Beautiful car in so many ways - but she fancies a diesel again as that's what she was used to with VW before we switched to Skoda. A Fabia Hatch SE in the 1.6 flavour has turned up at the local dealership.

She churns out about 60 miles a day on motorway so I'm wondering what the mpg figures are like with normal driving with the 1.6 TDi? She currently averages about 44mpg with the 1.2 TSi.

Personally I think it may well be worth the swap - especially for the tax too.

Any thoughts? Could be a 2011 Scout up for sale if your comments sway me the right way! :-)

Cheers in advance.

Simon.

Assuming it will do 10-15mpg better, will it make back enough to justify the cost to change cars?

Obviously it's a downgrade too as the Scout is a unique (and to me rather nice) looking car with better spec over an SE.

A picture of your Scout would be good too, just so I can have a look. :)

But you can't sell on here unless you are a Freedom member (£12).

My concern would be that you'll pay dealer price for the SE and only get trade in price (around £1000+ under dealer price) for your Scout.

So you'll effectively lose £1000 doing the swap, as many people do when they change cars as dealers need to make a few £££.

It only makes sense if the costs stack up IMO.

Personally I'd keep the Scout rather than saving £10 (?) per week.

Particularly if you know the car well and it's all straight with no faults.

It'd take you two years if that's the figure to make it back. (but £10 is a guess)

Thanks for the comments BossFox - I see where you're coming from for sure. May well throw some pics up on here!

I guess I need to sit down and work through the figures. It's about saving money at the end of the day too which she feels she'd do with a small diesel car. Maybe I should sell the Scout privately, pay up the finance and spend the [hopefully] equity on an older Fabia/Polo?!

I'm not sure how desirable the Scout is though - I haven't seen many for sale when I've been poking around?

I'm not sure how desirable the Scout is though - I haven't seen many for sale when I've been poking around?

They are a bit of an oddity.

I think they are great, but some people don't see the point without 4x4 like the Octy Scout.

Last time I looked there are around 6 or so on Ebay. Compare that to 44 Nissan LEAF electric cars and they are certainly quite rare.

If you think about selling, put it on here in the For Sale section.

Got to be worth £12 for a years Freedom membership.

Like everything it's a balance between what you want and saving money/budget.

Otherwise we'd all be saving a fortune driving round in basic diesels.

I think you'll find the Fabia SE a bit boring after the Scout though, it doesn't have the same character.

I get 50mpg, doing a 12 mile trip (each way), twice a day (there, back, there, back).

I have been on a few longer journeys and the Monte nudges 60mpg easily and if I drove it REALLY gently, I reckon I could hit the published MPG figure (66.6mpg or something).

If your wife is used to diesels and hasn't tried a CD TDI, then the feel is completely different to older diesels (it drives more like a petrol). I've driven my Dad's 1.2 TSI DSG and it's completely different, but if she thinks diesel suits her driving, will save her a bit of money and isn't fussed about the looks of the Scout, then it might be a good move.

Or get a Monte Carlo...in Yellow. ;-)

• Like 1

Flip! More food for thought! She was used to the 3 cylinder 1.4 TDi of the past. Which gave great mpg albeit for sounding a lot like an agricultural vehicle! :giggle:

She was also used to my Passat too which was the PD flavour.

I'm going to go see the SE tomorrow. The only thing is, is that it's that weird beige colour?! They tried to pass it off as caramel!

Hi, I bought a 2010 Fabia SE TDI 1.6 CR 105 estate in January and have kept brim to brim figures since then.

They are as follows

27 January 2013, 49.51 mpg

20 February 2013, 49.15

16 March 2013, 52.94

01 April 2013, 51.04

20 April 2013, 54.81

19 May 2013, 52.39

06 June 2013, 58.56

14 June 2013, 64.15

The dates are a guide to ambient temperature. I was initially disappointed with the mpg but after reading items on the forum I changed my driving style and results have improved, although this has coincided with a rise in temperature and the better figures include much longer journeys. Shorter journeys in cold weather will not give good results. My normal journey is about 10 mls. mostly on motorway so the engine doesn’t really get warm enough to give good results but your wife is probably doing 3x that so stands more chance of getting the better figures. I hope this gives you some idea of what to expect.

• Like 1

Wife has a 105 diesel Scout. On a long journey average about 65-67 mpg. Shorter ones about 55 mpg. Performance great, plastic cladding great if you live in the country with cow splattered lanes and potholes.

Many thanks for the posts so far everyone!

I drive the SE today and I thought it was great. Just not feeling the price offered for mine when I know I can get a good bit more privately.

I think we're going to put it up for sale and we what happens tbh.

Here will probably be a good place to start!

What does platinum grey look like. I would have thought it was silvery. But googling it looks like a bluey grey.

I think it's now called steel grey.

Middle of the road grey, not bright like silver and not dark either.

Couldn't see any blue in it.