Walbro Fuel Pump installed - car won't start

Sorry to hear of all your problems buddy

Cant help with fuel probs as you seem to have loads more experience in that area.

All I will add tho, is many many years ago I had a TR6 which was PI (Lucas mechanical metering unit) and without fail in weather like this if I went round a corner fast it would misfire like crazy, id boot it on the straight then it would suddenly clear. I could always smell a slight petrol smell so guess air was also getting in somewhere, your metering unit (if we have one?) / fuel lines to the injectors ok?.

At least you had a good holiday.

Hope you get it sorted.

Good Luck

I should stop playing with it buddy , that's my trouble....lol neighbor thinks I have the most unreliable car ever..... :rofl:  

First what you should do is to put a new fuel filter.

That was the first thing i did buddy, :thumbup: when i got back after swapping the walbro over to my old pump.

Those dam hose unions are getting bad now as replaced filter a few times over the years, 

• 2 weeks later...

Well after replacing the Walbro and re fitting:

STD Fuel Pump

different set of Injectors

Fuel Rail

FPR

New Filter

Throttle re calibration

Still the same

So after talking to a decent garage and explaining I did the Injector wire tuck, They stated hope I did not use solder......doh

As solder causes resistance so kinda like someone putting their foot on a flowing hose pipe that cause restriction.

So out came loom and de soldered and used wire connectors and hay ho,  no more hesitance.. Lesson learned there.

Oh and this was the Walbro sock condition  after removing it from the pot. No wonder it was shaking about.

2013-07-28100423_zps3c5a07dc.jpg

2013-07-28100810_zpsd9ebcc47.jpg 

Makes me wonder they should make the material out of better stuff.

The new one on the left is actually not big enough to be tight in the pot.

Rob can you send me a link to the actual one you got as your link posted is just the site i think.

Will be re fitting the walbro back soon..

I'm thinking of putting the LCR pump back in. The Walbro is a bit like having a wasp stuck in the back. Also twice I've had the car go into serious limp mode (like maximum of 5mph until restart)

Once was when fuel was showing 60km left when braking for a roundabout. The other was with half a tank, braking on a steepish downward slope.

Oh that's weird. I bought the large sized one that is no longer listed on their website!!

From the invoice:

Foam-Lg                Thick Foam sleeve for fuel pump  1          $3.00

doh that's typical......

Will try and ask them a question to see if they still supply it. 

I'm thinking of putting the LCR pump back in. The Walbro is a bit like having a wasp stuck in the back. Also twice I've had the car go into serious limp mode (like maximum of 5mph until restart)

Once was when fuel was showing 60km left when braking for a roundabout. The other was with half a tank, braking on a steepish downward slope.

Hmm yep the Walbro is a buzzy pump...

The sock should make it a little more quite. I actually put 10mm  foam pad over the pump cover and under the seat carpet. This made quite a bit of difference. Now I could only hear it with Radio off.

I never had any running issue with it though and went low on fuel quite a few times way past 1/4 tank.  The only time i got running issues was very recently  due to me messing with the dam injector wires :wall: . And I expect as the walbro was pumping more fuel amplified the problem of poor resistance at injectors and this caused a few flutters and miss fire type feeling going uphill with aircon on under load. Couple that with the perished foam sock with the pump not being secure and upright, no wonder i had issues.

• 2 months later...

I put the o ring seals round the out side of the foam sits a treat then

These pumps need checking every now and then as the crappy rubber deteriorates making pump slop about...

Yh there not the best design I'll check mine 1000k down the line see how it is I'm just over the moon wit it at the mo cause it sorted my high rev fuel starvation out

Yep this was the state of my old rubber sock verses new one

2013-07-28100423_zps3c5a07dc.jpg

This is with the new one fitted

IMG_1083.jpg

I'm thinking of changing back to the LCR pump.

I did buddy...I got fed up with the suspect running the walbro gave. I did not get the fuel starv thing on 1/4 tank but poor low down pick up. Although i can not guarantee was down to the pump completely i also think pump just wore out as was second hand when i got it.  Also me letting tank get way low did not help.  LCR pump runs much better. Might check my Shark map soon to get optimal running as want to fit LCR injectors.

Also if you look at fuel pressure comparisons between the various high pressure pumps on the market, walbro comes out worst. 

http://realstreetperformance.com/store/pages/fuel-pump-comparison-test-5.html

although still within the pressure to run on mild tuned VRS

Didn't any of u get a mesh filter with a spring inside? Put this filter on the bottom of the then slid it into the swirl pot so the bottom of the pump Is 50ml from the bottom of the swirl pot this works a treat makes full use of the swirl pot I fitted the pump to the car which only had 25 miles or so left the light was on drove to fuel station 11 miles before refuel so no low level suction probs at all

Detecting some negativity for the Walbro :giggle:

Remember the pump here in this thread was the GSS340, not the GSS342 as in the advert/test

The GSS342 is thinner, off-center pickup, etc iirc

Lol,,,wonder when you would show up dude.... :rofl:

The GSS340,341 and 342 are all still same flow rate though so test should not matter...

mine ran great for 3 years, but they do need simple maintenance and a bit of messing about to fit in the first place.

i also made sure that i stated the flow rate is well within a typical stage 2 tuned VRS needs to take  :thumbup:

My Walbro experience in general is good, but i love the fact a LCR pump is just a fit and forget  

Didn't any of u get a mesh filter with a spring inside? Put this filter on the bottom of the then slid it into the swirl pot so the bottom of the pump Is 50ml from the bottom of the swirl pot this works a treat makes full use of the swirl pot I fitted the pump to the car which only had 25 miles or so left the light was on drove to fuel station 11 miles before refuel so no low level suction probs at all

If using the GSS340 that mesh filter is not needed buddy as the pump already has a mesh ring in the centre. I found no issues what so ever with fuel starv and my pump with fitted way low down in swirl pot and i cut off the plastic bottom tube.

It was only last few months it just started playing up. Maybe just generally died. 

Yh I seen the mesh in the bottom I fitted the strainer to it makes it have less movement and a better fit and I have no low level probs but I'm just glad it cured the problem I replaced it for but I do like the fit and forget with the LCR

• 1 year later...

fitted a gss340 today following all the good hints and tricks from here thanks very much :-)

I modded the pump pick up slightly and the filter on the base, 

pump mod

20150603_152702_zpsvfsg1esj.jpg

did this to sit it low in the base and still pick up from the swirl pot

20150603_152609_zpsktpi27wb.jpg

filter mod, the pipe i have cut off and blocked with a screw would allow unfiltered fuel into the pump inlet

20150603_152506_zpsns0xixel.jpg

20150603_152514_zpsrg3niqsp.jpg

correct wire positions using the walbro red/black flying leads, just incase.....

20150603_164207_zps9wsaltgu.jpg

pic of the multiple fuel inlets on the standard pump

20150603_141048_zpsjahwb37o.jpg

stock pump vs tiny walbro

20150603_140618_zps0kudwvk8.jpg

• Like 1