Fabia Console Removal

_Jim

Hi guys,

I began changing my console bushes earlier then disaster. The bolt holding the wishbone to the console sheared. it felt as if it had previously been cross threaded so there wasn't much I could do.

I will be going to TPS on monday to get a new console, I was just wondering if anyone knew a step by step way to remove the old one. I have a rough idea but some advice would be good.

It is the passenger side.

Cheers.

If it has been cross threaded previously the threads will no doubt be chewed, get yourself a set of decent taps (no cheap crap) to match the thread of the bolt then run them down the hole. If the threads are nakared inside and you put a new bolt in either the bolt will shred or it will mess the hole threads even more.

That doesnt sound too bad. Is it not possible to get just the consoles out then?

Im only asking as i'm considering just sorting the passenger side out then taking it somewhere and letting them do the other. I really do not want a repeat :)

Plus I can't really afford another £100 ish for a second console if it happens again.

I'll have a look tomorrow.

From what I saw earlier it looked like the only thing stopping the console coming out would be the ARB. Would it be a case of undoing the droplinks both sides, along with the clamps/bushes and moving it out of the way? Or is there other stuff i'd need to remove too?

I'd also like to say thanks for all the help, I genuinely appreciate it.

I did consider it, but I don't want to get one to find its also cross threaded or from a non vrs (the vrs one is different due to the 6sp box apparently). They all wanted £30-50 and there were only three within 50 miles too.

They're £106 on skodaspares but I get trade at TPS so fingers crossed it won't be quite so bad.

EDIT: Found one very locally for £25, hopefully the same doesn't happen when he tries to get it off :)

Edited by _Jim

Can anyone confirm if one off a none vrs fits?

Skoda spares lists this part number 6Q0199293D as the number for a passenger side

But on eBay a listing for the same part doesn't list the vrs.

I take it the vrs ones are slightly different as I read elsewhere?

Oh right okay :) thanks.

I found a new one on eBay not too far away for £65 collected but it isn't one specific to a vrs.

I'll wait for the guy who is breaking one to get it off the car for me.

• Like 1

If your still after one I have them off my breaking red vRS which I still have sat in my workshop. Just give us a shout if your struggling

I've had the exact same issue with mine but on the drivers side. No stud extractor would remove it lol. All you have to remove is the two bolt holding it to the chassis, the two holding down the steering rack, two bolts for the ARB clamp and it should wiggle out. 

Day

Awesome cheers :)

Just remove the arb clamp on the one side? Or is it best to remove both sides so it can move more?

I only removed one side so I disturbed as little as possible. Didnt even need to remove the drop links. I did in the end as i've pretty much done a full on front rebuild lol

Day

Oh that's not so bad then.

Mine looks okay bar the passenger outer cv boot which is getting done at the same time :)

Touch wood.

Mine started off just as a console bush change, ended up being new front arms, drop links, shock absorbers, lowering springs, track rods, track rod ends etc haha. One of those situations where you may aswell change it whilst its off lol

Day