Roadtrip with a 100L?

Think its feasible? Car in question is an 1970 Skoda 100L with between 70 and 90k miles on the clock, but a brand new engine (0 Miles). Passed the MOT in April. It was completely renovated in 2005 and has since the been driven under 2k miles. The car is in excellent condition. Except that it caught fire a few months ago. Which was the reason it needed a new engine. Electrical system has since then been overhauled also.

The trip would be Bucharest to Gdansk, from there a ferry to Nynäshamn, and then another 60 km to Stockholm. Only the driver with minimal luggage and some spare parts.

Don't see why not. Provided the engine is a good runner and has been serviced and you can some spare service items and tools. I've crossed Germany in a day in my Rapid without it fussing. They're better than we may give them credit for. 

I'd start using it everyday for a while first then any little problems will show up. 2k miles in 8 years isn't very much and old cars don't like doing nothing for long periods, things start seizing and rubber seals perish, like brake cylinder seals.

But after that I see no reason why not. I have a Triumph about the same age and that's done 2000 miles in one weekend before (twice) so I'd say go for it!

Alright then. I was considering dumping it on a transport company and have it ride a lorry back home but i think i'll risk the trip under its own power.

Five years i've been trying to buy this thing and he's shut me down every single time. Finally after five years, he's agreed to a sale. Now if the calender could just hurry the hell up so i can get down there....

I'd bet my left nut he's only selling becase he cant do the engine swap on his own....

Any pics?

I'd definitely make the trip. Even if it breaks down so terminally that you can't drive it, at least you are back to your original plan. As the lads say here, bring a few perishable parts and best advice already stated is to try and drive it a bit for a while to get everything moving and bending; always good for a car.

You have a story to tell there don't you? Five years trying to buy one Škoda in Romania. There are others around, though admittedly not too many, so why this particular one?

Any pics?

I'd definitely make the trip. Even if it breaks down so terminally that you can't drive it, at least you are back to your original plan. As the lads say here, bring a few perishable parts and best advice already stated is to try and drive it a bit for a while to get everything moving and bending; always good for a car.

Not pics currently. Like I said, I wrong be getting down there for a few more weeks. As for breaking down. I hope to God it doesn't. Because my German is horrible and my Polish is even worse.

You have a story to tell there don't you? Five years trying to buy one Škoda in Romania. There are others around, though admittedly not too many, so why this particular one?

That was supposed to be Budapest. Bloody phone... Anyway, for one, there are no 100L's here in Sweden, whatsoever. Two, they grow and trees and can be bought for a lunch money over there. And three, I grew up with this particular car. The owner is a friend of my family. I was just a kid back then, but when the restoration began in '99, I spent most of my time watching, and helping out where I could. This car is more or less the sole reason I got into cars.

I was planning to buy a skoda down there anyway, i had given up on this one. I was aiming for an Estelle or a Favorit though. I wont be bring a car the next few years and i need something to get around in when I'm down there. Both are cheap as hell and easy to repair. I was half considering a Lada, but while I want something cheap and fixable, I do have standards.... :rofl:

I was half considering a Lada, but while I want something cheap and fixable, I do have standards.... :rofl:

If you were considering a "classical" 2101, it is essentially an enhanced Fiat 124 (I mean really enhanced: stronger body, OHC engine, improved gearbox, suspension, etc. more than 800 changes overall), European Car of the Year 1967. The only problem was soviet quality, which for the first several years, when Italians looked after the production, was not actually soviet.

Edited by briskycat

Visit skodafriends.ro. You will find help if you need,on Romanian territory. When you will pass Sibiu (if you will want to pass trough there) give me a sign. I have  S100 and Rapid. 

On the other hand, does any one of you know Tue Pol Halvorsen? It is an old nice man from Denmark, who makes thousand km each year with his S100, trough all Europe.