Aircon noise

Just had my aircon serviced and when I use it now the radiator/fan sounds like its working overtime. Is this a normal noise it's just it never did it before the service but not sure when it was last done.

Thanks

The electric condenser fan has a low and high speed, low should come on with the AC on and cycle up to high speed as needed then back to low etc if its on high all the time or just cycles from off to high then there is a problem with the condenser fan controlmodule/resistor or the low speed function of the fan motor. Check out passat forums you will find a lot on it,

This is from Passat world,

user-offline.pngNeutralreputation_pos.png Join Date Jul 2008 Posts 3

Hello Andy,

UK here as well, Maidenhead Berkshire to be precise.

I've just been through this with my 2002 B5.5 TDI(130) Engine code AWX.

Exactly the same as you, my aircon hissed and cut out stuck in traffic.
No fan movement at all (leccy one).

This is what you need to do (in order);

1, Remove scuttle panel above pedals and check both the 40a and 5a fuses. These are located on the relay panel (the one at the back up under the pedals). If ok, then,

2, Disconnect fan (conntor plug under power steering res cover) and connect direct to battery. It's a good idea to use a fuse to do this. If fan does not spin, tap it with something heavy. It might slowly spring into action. If ok, then,

3, Remove under tray and pull of connector to fan switch on bottom hose. Look at the connector and you should see 4 numbered terminals. At this stage leave fan disconnected. Ignition on, bridge terminals 1&4 to activate high speed circuit / relay, then bridge terminals 2&3 to activate low speed circuit / relay. The purpose of this part is to check the power circuits and relays for the low and high speeds. Carefully listen for the relays clicking up under the pedals (where you checked the fuses) or get the Mrs to listen. If ok, then,

4, Reconnect fan (connector under power steering cover remember) and repeat the bridging of terminals in 3 above. Note if your fan sprung to life when you tapped it, as a minimum you should get the high speed. On mine I got high speed but no low speed, in which case,

5, Get a voltmeter. Look up under the passenger side chassis leg right up at the front near the intercooler. You will see the fan resistor pack up there. This what was faulty on my car due to water ingress. You need to check each terminal in turn for 12v whilst the ignition is on and you have either the hight or low speed terminals bridged on the fan connector. You will note one of the connectors has two cables to it. This one should read 12v / battery volts when the high speed is bridged, less when the low speed is bridged. I got 12v on the two cable connector and nothing on it once the low speed was bridged. This led me to conclude that the fan resistor pack was knackered.

I ended up replacing the fan, the radiator (as it was suffering from the common Passat problem where it weeps on the lower engine side corners) AND the resistor pack. A dear old do, but it all now works perfectly.

The fan itself can be replaced with everthing insitu.

The rad requires removal of the bumper, removal of the bumper iron and setting aside of the aircon rad.

The resistor pack requires setting the lock carrier into the service position.

Not a difficult DIY job but the terminal 'nuts' on the resistor pack on mine were right buggers.

Talk to vagparts about the resistor pack (cheapest)

Piccy of resistor pack (my new one prior to fitting)

P7250085.jpg

IM, Email, and Social Networks in one easy to use application!

IM, Email, and Social Networks in one easy to use application!
http://digsby.com

Also, as far as I'm aware, the fan control system is the same on US B5's as well.

And below the first post in a thread of over a thousand posts on the subject in on www.TDIClub.com!

icon1.gif Check your radiator/condenser fan operation NOW
Now is the time of the year to check that both of your electric fans for the radiator and air conditioner condensor are functioning. Do not needlessly age your Air Conditioning compressor by running it at too high a pressure and temperature.

A4's and A5's (I suspect others, too) have bad problems with radiator/condensor coolant fans not being operational.

There is no DTC or MIL light that comes on for this. No overt warning at all.

Most people do not notice anything until both of their fans have quit completely, and then they might notice that the AC compressor kicks off when at stop lights or in traffic. They may notice their AC is not as cool as normal. This is the terminal stage of this disease.

Here is the usual progression of this failure.

1)One fan slow speed operation fails, no one notices. The AC is operating at higher than normal temps and pressures, but still does a good job.

2) The second fan's slow speed operating mode quits; no one notices. The AC compressor is running even hotter and at higher pressures. When the vehicle is not moving, the pressure builds up to the high pressure point on the refrigerant pressure sensor. The high speed fans kick on, and the compressor kicks off; this lasts about 20 seconds, then the compressor kicks on and the fans kick off (they should be in slow, but that has failed. The cycle repeats about once per minute. Most people will still not notice this, as the refrigerant pressure stays high and they get some cooling.

3) The repeated cycling of the high speed fans, and their very high starting current will eventually cause some electrical connection or component to fail in the fan circuit. All fan operation is lost. This folks usually notice when they are at stop lights or in traffic, as the AC compressor will kick off and on repeatedly. Cabin cooling is usually affected, and many notice, but some think it is normal operation.

To avoid this scenario check your fan operation every time you check under the hood (every refueling, right?)

Manual AC (as opposed to Climatronic AC or Climatic AC -the transmission type is immaterial) cars, push the AC button in, place a fan in slow and leave your key to ON (engine does not have to be running). Both fans should run in slow (unless it is near freezing or your refrigerant pressure is too low.) If your AC light does not come on and your cabin fan does not work, do not proceed until you have troubleshot and fixed this problem; this is the primary signal to turn on the AC system.

Climatronic or Climatic AC cars (includes all A5 cars), with the engine running, select low cabin temperatures for climatronic or AC on fan on for Climatic, make sure you are not in ECON mode, and check your fans. Both should be running at a slow speed condition within about 30 seconds (they are infinitely variable in speed.) Again this is dependent upon not being in near freezing conditions and having adequate refrigerant pressure. Your fans key off of refrigerant pressure signals, so the compressor must be good and be loaded in order for the fans to see a high enough pressure to start.

During the engine output tests with VCDS, if there is a fan test (and there is on BEWs and BRMS) then BOTH fans should run together.

Some links to PDF papers on troubleshooting A4 fans and Manual Air conditioners. Please forward any questions or corrections to me (DanG144).

A4 fan troubleshooting

Sept 98 - May 99 Build date A4 Manual Air Conditioner Troubleshooting

Rev 7 May 99-end of A4 Manual Air Conditioner Troubleshooting.

Fan Repair

pinout of J293 Thanks to wulee

Refrigerant Pressure table vs temperature and G65 pressure transducer This is based solely on reading one (my own) pressure transducer; this is not guaranteed accurate. If you have the real calibration data, or data from your own transducer, please forward it to me.