Anyone gone from a Passat to a VRS?

Currently got a Passat CR140 highline estate DSG. Not sure if need the space so looking at VRS FL DSG hatch 2010ish. Anyone done similar and regret it or happier?

Edited by badgerman

my dad has a 08 plate highline with the 105bhp engine and i've got a 56 plate vrs hatch.

Obviously the octavia is much quicker but the Highline is much quieter. The vrs seats are very nice, the passat seats are more like a lounge chair in comparison.

How high speced is your highline?

It's got RNS 510, MFSD, BT, cruise, 6 CD, autohold, electric heated seats with memory auto lights n wiper, luggage organization, f/r parking sensors, heated windscreen. Most things bar leather actually.

Will miss the satnav n memory seats the rest the FL VRS has or can do without.

I like an easy car now having grown out of Fabia vrs with 180bhp+ n 18" rims. Fancy a more mature VRS. Looked at superb too, but bigger again. Less of need for bulky prams etc.

For what it's worth we moved from an Audi A6 3.0SE quattro Avant to an Octavia vRS TSI estate. The Audi was more comfortable, but the vRS is more nimble, probably a bit quicker, far better on fuel and probably has a slightly bigger boot (certainly much taller than the Audi from boot floor to ceiling).  We tried a Passat estate but didn't really like the way it drove - it felt quite sloppy in the handling compared to the Audi, let alone the vRS.

I have done the opposite, I just bought a new B7 Passat, i loved my old vRS but if i'm honest the B7 Passat is a nicer place to be in. Better built and more attention to detail. Having said that the newer B7 is a step up from the B6 too.

If you want a comfortable, well equipped and fairly luxurious cabin & experience then the Passat will win over the vRS by quite a considerable margin. Your Passat would also appear to be dripping with extra equipment over the vRS which, lets face it, in standard trim is quite sparsely specced.

If you prefer a tighter handling, quicker and more nimble car to drive, then the vRS is the obvious choice - the usable luggage space is not that much different either.

I found that there is a big difference between the cabin in the facelift Octavia as well. I know it is only some of the switchgear, dials & steering wheel that has changed but it looks and feels much nicer than the pre-facelift in my opinion.

Your best option would be to take a vRS out for a test drive and make an honest comparison against your existing vehicle to see if the swap would be worth it to you.

If you want a comfortable, well equipped and fairly luxurious cabin & experience then the Passat will win over the vRS by quite a considerable margin. Your Passat would also appear to be dripping with extra equipment over the vRS which, lets face it, in standard trim is quite sparsely specced.

If you prefer a tighter handling, quicker and more nimble car to drive, then the vRS is the obvious choice - the usable luggage space is not that much different either.

I found that there is a big difference between the cabin in the facelift Octavia as well. I know it is only some of the switchgear, dials & steering wheel that has changed but it looks and feels much nicer than the pre-facelift in my opinion.

Your best option would be to take a vRS out for a test drive and make an honest comparison against your existing vehicle to see if the swap would be worth it to you.

I specced the sport suspension in my Passat, a CR 140 now running 200bhp. Came standard with 312mm brakes and 286mm rears. It definately handles at least as good as my old vRS, was pleasantly surprised considering it's a little bigger ( not much though) Felt the steering is a little more responsive in the Passat. 

Hi,

I had an 05 Passat tdi 150bhp high line estate and now have a 2012, CR170 tdi vrs hatch.

Space wise similar just the estate has a big square hole which allows you to get a washing machine in easily, for instance. Not tried with the VRS hatch but push the seats flat and you should get a washing machine in.

No comparison with power for me etc the cr170 is a totally different beast to the pd150 unit, the power is awesome, especially in 3 red gear 50 mph to say 90 mph it is effortless and quick for a family hatch :-) you need a slim ish bottom with the vrs seats, no where near as comfy as my old Passat but then the Passat was more an armchair, the vrs is so tight and has firm suspension.

Looking at your spec list you won't see all that on the Skoda not unless someone has added it all, if they can?

The vrs gets my vote and makes me smile more :-)

More expensive car has better quality interior shocker!!

Of course it has thats why its more expensive!  My evoque had a better quality interior than my VRS , it also cost 12k more new. The octavias is adequate though, my only gripe is the crap fake leather (i assume its fake) on the seats.

Such a stigma associated with a Passat though.  :giggle:

And a £800 to £3800 m1 VRS has more.( every cab firm round here has an Octavia including two vrs)  Everything about the passat is better made, just look at the door hinges . The Recaro seats in my R36 are the most comfortable of any car I have sat in, even the side bolsters are adjustable .My car has 335 bhp and is sublime, my vRS was great but had to uprate more or less everything to get it right,( why do Skoda have them riding like tractors) , the only thing I have done to this  car is engine and Dsg remap, ( still would have preferred as manual )  

I'm sure it's really nice but saying you drive a passat at a party is nearly as bad as saying you drove a skoda. ;)

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Well I get at least 4 thumbs up from motorists whenever I drive it ( only 148 in the uk) and do not have to anounce what I drive

Not suggesting for a minute the Passat R36 was or is a bad car but lets face it they only sold 148 in the UK because it was a massive sales flop; very few people were interested in a 35k 300hp petrol smelting VW Passat and bought BM's, Mercs and Audis instead. Even worse product placement than the 3.6 Superb, but at least thats a good 5k cheaper. Would have thought VW would have learnt a lesson from the Passat W8 which was equally unpopular.

It was because of crippling band tax, and stupid emissions tax , £475 ! that crippled it, and people buy diesels these  days that pretend to be a fast car( like the diesel vrs) and badge snobs even people on here. America still has the engine in the cc, all the major manufactures are going small engine turbo rather than normal aspirated v6 . I am glad they did not sell in huge numbers as the driver profile means they are dirt cheap to insure £200 fully comp with remap declared and six points!

• 10 years later...

I am in need to buy a new car i have the skoda octavia vrs tdi mk2 and i left it 7 years in garage and now it's giving me all sorts of trouble and is time to change.  I am thinking between skoda the new octavia vrs new but this time petrol or audi s5 obviously the audi second hand can't afford new 😒 what is better to buy and economical to keep