RETROFITTING PARK ASSIST ON A 2013 PLATE SUPERB ELEGANCE

Does anyone know whether its possible to retrofit an April 2013 Superb Elegance estate with the park assist system.  My old Elegance estate (10 plate) had both front and rear sensors, this new car only has rear fitted. Any advice would be much appreciated as the dealers "think" that this has to be a factory fit option, although did say that apparently the Octavia can be retrofitted?

I think he means on a difficulty scale of 1 to 10 it is an 11

In the words of Roy Walker 'It's good, but it's not right'.

Merely stating the OP does not need to SHOUT in the thread title ;)

With regards to the retrofitting of park assist, I have no useful knowledge in that field other than I suspect the Haynes book of lies would rate it as a 5 spanner difficulty rated job, perhaps, sorry.

• Like 1

I can only believe it would be very difficult and very expensive. You'd need six sensors in the front, lots of drilling and threading of wiring. Additional modules, interior switches and in short, its probably cheaper to part exchange the car for another with Park Assist. That does make me ask why you did not spec it when you bought it?

So it appears the general consensus is that this is a non starter. I did spec the car Cemesis but the dealers ad wrongly stated it had PA fitted. I could have refused to accept the car and waited for another one, however up here in Scotland generally there are very few of these available. At present Auto Trader has 7 within a 100 mile radius and none have PA in the spec sheet. Of that 7 only 3 are (13) plated! It's a case of demand exceeding supply I'm afraid.

If it was a dealer error I'd hope that aside from offering to order you a new car, which they've already done, then they would instead at least be doing everything they can by talking to Skoda UK and providing you will a detailed breakdown of what would be needed and the subsequent cost to retrofit.

And then, due to their mistake, offer to do the work at a minimum of cost.

Did they provide any other form of compensation? I assume this was a factory order, when you state the "dealers ad" it sounds as though it may have been a car already in stock?

Could you manage without park assist and just have the front parking sensors retrofitted? There would only be then four sensors instead of six and probably a lot less programming required...

Hi Silver1011,

You're assumption is spot on. It was an ex demo registered April 2013 with only 2300 miles and at a good price too. I can do without PA to be honest, but thought I'd ask the question to see if a retrofit was possible. Dealers say no, but wanted to be sure by asking myself. My old 10 plate had both front and rear sensors fitted and the fronts were undoubtedly handy in such a large car, but again the dealer says the fronts can't be retrofitted either as the necessary wiring has to be installed at the time of the factory original build.

They have held their hands up and admitted their failing here and a small price adjustment has been allowed, however they know they have me over a barrel due to the fact that its the only model available within a 50 mile radius with an Elegance spec.

I asked my dealer about retro-fitting front sensors when I bought mine. They said they would get an independent firm to do it, but it wouldn't integrate with the Columbus display. So I didn't bother in the end. I came from having sensors all-round on my passat, to just having rear on the superb. I can't say I actually miss the front sensors, and if I think I'm too close for comfort turning into a space then I just take an extra 15 seconds and take an extra turn.

I asked my dealer about retro-fitting front sensors when I bought mine. They said they would get an independent firm to do it, but it wouldn't integrate with the Columbus display. So I didn't bother in the end. I came from having sensors all-round on my passat, to just having rear on the superb. I can't say I actually miss the front sensors, and if I think I'm too close for comfort turning into a space then I just take an extra 15 seconds and take an extra turn.

I've only recently have seen a VAG kit for front park sensors. The company who sold them offered mounting them as well. In total it was something like ~£400 job. And they were integretaed with Columbus :rock: .

I've only recently have seen a VAG kit for front park sensors. The company who sold them offered mounting them as well. In total it was something like ~£400 job. And they were integretaed with Columbus :rock: .

That's a pretty good price, bearing in mind they're integrated.

Edited by JakeBlade

Lmb I'd be very interested in knowing the name of the company offering that front fitting service which integrates with Columbus if you have any info available.

Thanks - John

one of the other taxi drivers fitted some aftermarket ones to his superb has he scuffed it against a barrier while backing into a bay, good luck in your quest and i too am from Lanarkshire 

A company here in Denmark can do the retrofit with OEM parts. It will include to take the front bumper off, route new wires to the PDC box in the boot, new wires to under dash, a switch, new PDC/PLA/OPS box, 6 sensors, painting etc etc etc. It IS possible - but not cheap. If you ever go to Denmark, you can get the job done at cartrends.dk