Spilling diesel.

Hi guys, has anyone had a problem with this? I've owned a diesel before and never remember any problems.

When I filled up last week, everything was fine until I got home and realised there was a diesel streak down the side of the car from the filler.

Filled up again today and the diesel streaked down the paintwork the moment I started filling up.

I suppose the question is, how do you prevent this? The cap is on tight after filling up and the pump is fully in during filling up etc etc.

Can't say I've ever seen this happen with a petrol pump in 7 years of filling up.

Octavia VRS if it makes any difference.

Cheers!

I've never had this yet on mine. The nozzle goes right down the filler neck. When I remove the nozzle I turn it upside down to stop drips on the bodywork as sometimes they do drip afterwards.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk.

• Like 1

I've never had this either.....I fill until pump cut off, then pull the nozzle right out and continue filling until the diesel is just about to over flow......I keep doing this until the level stabilises so that when I screw the cap on it must actually be touching the fuel.

Perhaps your fuel cap seal has deteriorated?  

Hmmm I don't think so its a brand new car. I'm thinking its leaking into the actual filler flap compartment (for a better explanation) and then dripping after I drive away.

Just remembered that I'm sure mine has a drain hole at the bottom of the filler cap compartment....so that even if fuel does leak from the cap it gets drained away, presumably underneath the car somewhere. Do the latest cars have this?