Holiday recommendations

kit

I went to Budapest last year for a stag weekend. It's a fantastic city, great culture and great nightlife, plus it's very cheap. The only problem was I was hoping to do one of the outdoor spas, but no one else was up for it. Hoping to go back next year.

I went to Budapest last year for a stag weekend. It's a fantastic city, great culture and great nightlife, plus it's very cheap. The only problem was I was hoping to do one of the outdoor spas, but no one else was up for it. Hoping to go back next year.

I loved budapest too, went to the outdoor spas and it was great. You should def go if you get the chance again :)

• Like 1

I loved budapest too, went to the outdoor spas and it was great. You should def go if you get the chance again :)

Planning of going again next year, if it happens, I'm putting my foot down and going!

Cheers for all the recomendations, i'll have a look later as im just back from a wee trip home to Ullapool :) if only the west coast had 30 degree sun all the time!! :)

kit :)

I'll chuck in my 2p's worth and will wholeheartedly recommend the Czech Republic. Prague is beautiful with fantastic architecture, art galleries, bars, restaurants, micro-breweries. Even better, IMHO, is Brno in the south of the country - like a miniature Prague without the tourists. Still great VFM (Brno is much cheaper than Prague). I'd recommend flying into Prague, staying there a few days (midweek is best, the stag parties start arriving on Fridays) and then get the train down to Brno. It's a beautiful country, I've always found the people to be welcoming especially if you try just a word or two in Czech, it's great VFM and they have the best beer in the world.

• 2 years later...

Just reviving this thread rather than start a new one, as I am going to Budapest at the start of April, what would you recommend to see / do / visit?

JRJG

Just reviving this thread rather than start a new one, as I am going to Budapest at the start of April, what would you recommend to see / do / visit?

JRJG

you have to go on the free walking tours that leave from vorosmarty square, id do this first before anything else as it will give you a great grounding - they will let you know whats a rip off etc and are very passionate about their city.  Either the Jewish one which will give you a good understanding of history, hungarian nazis etc as well as showing you the trendy part of Budapest.  The general one which will cover everything including the old town and give you a good grounding for further exploration.  Unfortunately I didnt do the communist walking tour but Im sure its just as good.  The bus tour is ok but the pre recorded drivel is pants compared to these.

St Stephens Basilica is good but make sure you walk to the top as the view is great.

we had a bite to eat here, and then went back again...

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g274887-d6507873-Reviews-Farm-Budapest_Central_Hungary.html

it was nice, relaxed and inexpensive, id recommend it to chill out in the evening 

Its a great place, we didn't do the ruin bars but wish we had.

Loads to see and do though, it was good to go on the Jewish tour and then go in the hospital in the rock as there's still quite a bit of right wing propaganda following years of communist rule that you got a sense of in the hospital that you wouldn't have had an insight into had you not been on the tour.

I cant wait to go back though and I'm pretty sure you'll have a great time - good choice ;)

As said above by a few, Poland is a great place-I'm off there again in the morning  :sun:  :sun:

It's come a very long way since communism and has many benefits: most people born since 70s speak English, great food, nightlife, beers and culture, hot in summer (38 degrees) cold in winter (-25 degrees) so you can do beaches (coastal or lakes) or skiing depending on time of year.

Better still, the currency is mental, nearly 6PLN (zloty) to the £1 at present, so tomorrow's flight £17.99 as is the return flight, 3* hotel with breakfast £21pn and hiring an E-class is around £35 per day.  Food and drink very cheap indeed as is travel and there is a rich cultural history as well as hugely modern and impressive towns and cities.

Best places for first timer are Krakow, Gdansk, Torun or for skiing/alpine go to Zakopane.

NB: like all countries, the key is picking the right place, so start with tourist centres and then work your way out on subsequent visits after some research.

I'll think of you all when tucking into Argentinian fillet steak, merry as a lord on decent red wine, for the cost of a Wetherspoons meal out!

• Like 1

you have to go on the free walking tours that leave from vorosmarty square, id do this first before anything else as it will give you a great grounding - they will let you know whats a rip off etc and are very passionate about their city. Either the Jewish one which will give you a good understanding of history, hungarian nazis etc as well as showing you the trendy part of Budapest. The general one which will cover everything including the old town and give you a good grounding for further exploration. Unfortunately I didnt do the communist walking tour but Im sure its just as good. The bus tour is ok but the pre recorded drivel is pants compared to these.

St Stephens Basilica is good but make sure you walk to the top as the view is great.

we had a bite to eat here, and then went back again...

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g274887-d6507873-Reviews-Farm-Budapest_Central_Hungary.html

it was nice, relaxed and inexpensive, id recommend it to chill out in the evening

Its a great place, we didn't do the ruin bars but wish we had.

Loads to see and do though, it was good to go on the Jewish tour and then go in the hospital in the rock as there's still quite a bit of right wing propaganda following years of communist rule that you got a sense of in the hospital that you wouldn't have had an insight into had you not been on the tour.

I cant wait to go back though and I'm pretty sure you'll have a great time - good choice ;)

Thank you very much for your comment.

I will definitely have a look at the walking tours. I have been scouring the web and trip advisor for tips and suggestions and your recommendations are amongst the ones I have come across elsewhere.

What sort of prices were things? A pint? A coffee? I need to learn the equivalent of the currency so I can realise how much something is in Sterling terms!

JRJG

We were in Budapest last Easter and enjoyed it, highlights of our trip and some things you could consider doing would be St Stephens Basilica, Fisherman's Bastion, the Great Synagogue, night trip down the Danube and of course the Szechenyi Spa Baths are a must.

Price wise we found that it's generally cheap, the Szimpla Kert ruin bar is good for a wander round.

We stayed at the "Atrium Fashion hotel" which was pretty basic but suited us fine and would recommend, all sites/attractions were within easy walking distance.

What I would say is although we walked about at night, personally I wouldn't have strayed too far from the city centre area, just use common sense.  :thumbup: