2010 1.2 htp fabia engine noise

I've not had much of a chance to investigate this myself, but thought id punt it out to maybe help focus some problem areas.

My engine has developed a new noise that over the past week has gotten worse/louder/fuller(?!).

I can only describe it as 'a noise that dry bearings would make'.

The noise is very noticeable when idling, and through 1st and 2nd gears.

The pitch of the noise increases with revs.

My initial head under bonnet check located the sound in the vicinity of the pulleys/tensioners.

Is it likely to be a dry bearing for one of the pulleys?

Anyone experience similar problems?

Its obviously just outside its used car 3month warranty....:(

Hope someone can help....

Is it outside the manufacturers 3 year warranty (when was it first registered?)

I take it you checked the oil level. It could be a chain or chain tensioner problem (serious and potentially very expensive if not fixed) or maybe the belt tensioner pulley. Neither is common for a 3 year old car unless the oil level has been allowed to get too low or oil changes have been neglected (symptoms - chain rattling)

If its been serviced on schedule at a Skoda dealer, ask their opinion. Should be fixed under warranty or negoiate some goodwill as it cant be long out of warranty.

Edited by xman

What xman says, plus it could also be an alternator bearing on it's way out. A water pump bearing on it's way out. Of course, I'm assuming you have checked the alternator drive belt to make sure the tension is correct and the belt is not badly worn. I've know the belt to start slipping and progressively get worse in a very short space of time even in summer. Either way, you must get this checked because as xman says, if left it could turn out to be expensive to fix!

Oil level is fine. The vbelt is one massive one and tension seems fine. Will be checking it out in more detail later. Will update with more news! Def don't want to leave it, i know that noises are usually precursors to breakage....!

Noise is definitley coming from one of the following: alternator pulley, one below the alternator pulley, air conditioning pulley.

Sounds like a dry rattle/rumble.

Hoping its a fairly simple low cost job to check it out at garage/repair?

Is the sound the same with a/c switched on or off? - If it goes away with a/c off then maybe the a/c needs regassing.

Rattle/rumble does not sound like a bearing - I'm inclined to suspect the camchain is rattling against the timing cover - I hope I'm wrong.

As I said earlier, it may be covered under the 3 year manufactuers warranty, or if not, then usually a dealer can get Skoda to contribute to the cost as goodwill if the car has been serviced regularly and its a problem thats not normal for a 3 year old car (which this is).

I would only use an independent if you have a good one locally, they are a bit cheaper and a good one will use OEM parts and are usually clued up enough to solve your problems. We have a really good one nearby though its a VW one I always use them. Otherwise go VAG for peace of mind.

Edit: just read Estatemans comments about trying to get Skoda to contribute, it's worth a try.

Edited by horkin

I would go to any good dealer independent or otherwise. I've found independents to be more expensive than the actual Skoda dealer in the past but ask around, phone and see what the charges are.

the noise is similar to this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zvv5OJatVT4

the mrs has taken it to a garage already this morning and they said the 'fan belt tensioner' needs greasing?

by 'fan belt' do they mean the v-belt? as far as i am aware, fan belts dont exist (the fan doesnt use a belt)....

could this be a v-belt tensioner pulley that needs greasing?

i've been quoted £50 for the part, £50 for labour plus VAT.

i've checked the tension and it felt pretty tight.

the belt runs over alternator pulley, a-c pulley and a number of other pulleys nearer the lower part of the engine (i guess these are linked to the cam shaft).

the enginge is a chain cam, so no cam belt.

would the fan belt tensioner be the 'auxiliary belt tensioner', i.e. this thing:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Auxillary-Drive-Fan-Belt-Tensioner-For-SKODA-/380690314698?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&fits=Car+Make%3ASkoda%7CModel%3AFabia%7CCars+Type%3A1.2&hash=item58a2e935ca

got a second garage to give me a quote for the job, also going to contact the dealer i got the car from to see if they can honour the job (it may JUST be inside its 3 month warrnaty - think i bought it in the first 2 weeks of may)...

If you have any spanner skills and the time you could save your self the Labour charge and change the Tensioner your self.

Word of warning, you get used to getting the belt back on,

but you must be careful not to short the Alternator when using spanners.

(you end up needing another Alternator.)

So battery needs disconected before starting work to save that happening

The other thing is you get the replacement tensioner and then take apart and find its not the Tensioner but the Water Pump or something else.

so sometimes worth just giving over to the garage to have done.

george

• 1 year later...

hi there,

has that noise come back?

I think I have the same noise (your youtube video has dissapeared I'm afraid)... it's like a bearing noise that goes up in frequency with the RPMs, and it's definitely coming from the belt because it happens no matter if you have a gear in or you're in neutral (so, I'm deducing it can't be the transmission train).

I'd like to do the work myself, but I'm not sure if it's the belt tensioner, or maybe one bearing of one of the accesories (alternator, ac compressor, water pump)...

Anybody changed it??

Thanks,

Diego