Which firmware to my Columbus?

Rubby

Its easy enough to slide it out and have a look at the sticker on the top. The trim surrounding it comes off easily enough with a credit card or similar. There are then 4 screws to remove and it slides out. Don`t unplug anything especially the airbag light or it will need to be reset with VCDS

Exactly the same as mine. I updated to 3810 without any problems but when I tried 4020 it didn`t work for me, it failed twice at 42%, but I do intend trying again soon. 4020 has worked for a lot of people without any issues. There are several recent threads about it

I can only find one link that works and it is a modified 3810 firmware.

Do you have it?

Edit:

Is it 3810a_noru.rar?

Can i burn it to a DVDR or must it be a CDR?

Edited by Rubby

You don't need modified firmware: a standard 4020 will work - try downloading from 'My GTi' website (use the 'Alternative Download' as the first link was down).

http://www.my-gti.com/3354/volkswagen-rns-510-firmware-upgrade-to-version-4020-4024-4026-4028

Burn slowly to a cheap CD-R.

If that fails, burn slowly to a different media.

Sorry can`t help you with that. As far as I can tell I can`t get a hidden menu, unless its a feature of 3810, I wasn`t aware of that. I`ll try it later. How did you get the hidden menu to appear.

Hmm... The sticker on the Columbus unit says 3T0035680A but the hidden menu says 3T0035680B?!?!?!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/53593792@N04/9525550322/

That would suggest that it has already been upgraded from a lower firmware to the current one.

Mine also shows that it is 3T0...B on the menu but 3T0...A on the sticker.

There is no reason why you can't upgrade to 4020 other than a duff download or unzip or burn or media your Columbus doesn't like (they are very fussy).

Sorry can`t help you with that. As far as I can tell I can`t get a hidden menu, unless its a feature of 3810, I wasn`t aware of that. I`ll try it later. How did you get the hidden menu to appear.

Upgrading to 3810 or 4020 will automatically enable the hidden menu (and VIM).

With earlier firmware it can be enabled with VCDS.

Hold the 'Setup' button for about 30 seconds. If you get past the 'Radio' submenu then you've arrived at the hidden menu.

I didn't wacht the install so I dont know,

How did you know it had failed?

Was there an error message? Or an ejected disk?

Knowing this may help trouble shoot your problems.

"There is a saying" that Columbus likes DVDs better than CDs for some technical reason.

Still I burned 5238 on Verbatim CD-R with Windows XP standard app (no speed adjustment) on 10-year old Pentium-4 PC. It standartly took about 1 hour to install, with ocational pauses, quite long and frightening.