Amundsen route calculation

Hi all.

Recently I was on holiday and I noticed one think with the navigation at my Octavia.

It was first one long trip since purchase so I'm not sure that is correct behavior or not.

When I traveled to Snowdonia I not pay attention for route so much because I want to visit some places before I reach my destination.

However yesterday I start my trip back to home and of course I want to be as quick as possible.

I was so surprised when Amundsen calculate my route using only A and B roads. No motorway at all (yes I've checked settings and "Avoid motorway" check-box wasn't engaged).

Eco and quickest route was almost identical. From this same start point navigation in my phone calculated route using M54 and M5 motorway with less travel time.

So I just gave up with Amundsen and follow Google Nav in my phone from some point. I left Skoda Nav still enable for comparing. Almost till last Motorway junction Amundsen try to point my route into some other A roads. Very strange for me

Does any of you had something similar with Amundsen?

Maybe someone know how I can force my nav to work in sensible manner like my old TT or Google Nav?

Sometimes I really like travel using A and B roads. But not everyday.

Any advice?

I know you say you checked the settings, but I had the same issue a couple of weeks ago in France with a VW Touran with the Amundsen because the route setting was set to 'Shortest'.  Might be the same problem?

I've checked this settings as well yesterday. Usually I'm using option with 3 routes choice. With this one ON preferred route option is not active, however it was set for Eco route.

So nobody hit this same problem?

Maybe advice where I should looking for help then? My dealer, Skoda UK any other place?

This navi behavior became really annoying  :wall:

Ask your dealer to supply another SD card & try that in your unit. Go through the settings with them as it might be something you have missed. If they have a demo with same unit try that. If these don't solve it you might have a faulty unit which needs replacing.

Edited by kalpat

Eco route is likely to be A and B roads

Of course I've checked with the Fastest route and in most cases eco and fastest are the same in my unit.

Recently I updated my maps using directions from Skoda website.

I'll do this again from fresh. Maybe this will help.

Thanks for answers guys.

Was it using TMC data? Ie was there reported traffic issues on those motorways?

Yes. You're correct. But. when I realized that I turned TMC off, and redo calculation again. Nothing change with my route at this point.

And I remember one fact. during my last long trip my Amundsen start calculate turns and route changes in meters and kilometers  :think: . After stop for a lunch it reverse back to miles as usual. Very odd.

BTW. I just make update to version 34. Still this same. The simplest test for me is calculate my route to home from office. TT and Google navigation doing it using main roads, Skoda still not.

Edited by Arex

Yes. You're correct. But. when I realized that I turned TMC off, and redo calculation again. Nothing change with my route at this point.

And I remember one fact. during my last long trip my Amundsen start calculate turns and route changes in meters and kilometers :think: . After stop for a lunch it reverse back to miles as usual. Very odd.

BTW. I just make update to version 34. Still this same. The simplest test for me is calculate my route to home from office. TT and Google navigation doing it using main roads, Skoda still not.

And I remember one fact. during my last long trip my Amundsen start calculate turns and route changes in meters and kilometers :think: . After stop for a lunch it reverse back to miles as usual. Very odd.

Hmmm worrying - I've just ordered a new car with one of these units in - have you spoken to skoda?

Hmmm worrying - I've just ordered a new car with one of these units in - have you spoken to skoda?

Sorry. Not yet. I'm still short of time after my holiday.

Maybe will make it this weekend.

Hi, I may be way off the mark here but I've been trying to decide for a few days if I should add this sat nav to my vRS order or not and as part of trying to decide I was having a look through the manual.

Now whilst having a flick through I came across the "Traffic programme" section and "Dynamic route" which made me think of the problem you had.

It says "When the Dynamic route function is switched on, the traffic reports influence the dynamic route guidance by means of TMC messages"

Could it be that this is turned on and the route you expected it to take had delays or roadworks and it thought the alternate route would be faster?

Edited by Mike83

@Mike83

When I told few posts ago that I turned TMC calculation off I had exactly this Dynamic route in my mind.

Definitely I have to to Skoda with this problem, but I don't know when I'll find a time for that.

Of course after visit I'll make some update to this topic. I hope they can help me with this issue.