Seat wear on new skoda fabia Monte Carlo

I bought a new skoda,monte carlo last year and already it is suffering from.wearing on the drivers seat. It has only done 9000 miles and skoda have refused to.replace it without me paying towards a new one. Anyone else had a similar ossue

Thanks for replying it is the side bolster not the seat. Skoda customer services and my local dealer say it is  wear and tear only done 9000 miles. Skoda are willing  are willing to contribute to a new seat but i will have to pay approx 150 towards it.  Local dealer has agreed that there will possibI  be hole in the seat within the next couple of years.. I love my car but i feel let down by SKODA

This was a new car 12 months ago, I advised the dealer that I wasn't happy when the car was 11 months old. , I am a size 14 and my hubby is 6ft tall and weighs 14.7 stone we are average sized people.

Good morning,

I have an issue with seat wear on my SKODA Fabia Monte Carlo which i bought new from a local dealer last year.  In June I noticed the drivers  seat was showing signs of wear.  I took it back to my local dealer and they took pictures and sent to SKODA. I found out yesterday that even though the car has only done 9000 miles SKODA will only contribute to seat and my local dealer will not assist either.  Surely a car with only 9000 miles from new should not have this problem.   I am a size 14 and my husband is 6ft tall and weighs 14.7 so we are average sized people.  I am waiting for trading standards to get back to me to see if I have a case to take this further as the seat I believe is of unsatisfactory quality.  

Edited by Cautioukim

This is covered in the Warranty, in the form of being in the Exclusions.

http://www.skoda.co.uk/SiteCollectionDocuments/Brochures/Warranty-Booklet-single.pdf

If there are other here with the same interior wearing at low mileages that might well assist you in some way.

Maybe how the highest mileage Montes are wearing will show if the Materials are not suitable.

Where is it wearing on the passengers seat, near the passengers door & from Passengers

or near the gearstick and from the driver touching.

Is the Drivers seat much worse than the Passengers as that is occupied every time the car is used.

Or is the wear the same and you always have a passenger.

george

George. The passenger seat is showing very minor   wear but not to the extent of the driver seat.  The local garage agreed in time a hole will appear. i love my fabia but after spending my hard earned cash feel let down. :sweat:

Edited by Cautioukim
  • Like 1

I have on Water Proof Heavy Duty Seat Covers (Causing ne wear under them, but many seat covers may)

as Jeans and some types of clothes wear car interiors much harder than others.

&

thats why they talk about 'External Factors' & 'type of use',

a manual workers car is not automatically more liable to interior wear and tear than an office/suit wearers.

Many people complain that Seat Material is too rough/tough and it is their clothes that get wear and tear.

I recently got a new seat base under Warranty on a 3 year old car,

Seat base and back covers were perfect, runners needed replaced and hence a new Seat Base was required,

george

• Like 1

This is covered in the Warranty, in the form of being in the Exclusions.

http://www.skoda.co.uk/SiteCollectionDocuments/Brochures/Warranty-Booklet-single.pdf

If there are other here with the same interior wearing at low mileages that might well assist you in some way.

Maybe how the highest mileage Montes are wearing will show if the Materials are not suitable.

Where is it wearing on the passengers seat, near the passengers door & from Passengers

or near the gearstick and from the driver touching.

Is the Drivers seat much worse than the Passengers as that is occupied every time the car is used.

Or is the wear the same and you always have a passenger.

george

George,

We have had this warranty limitation question in another thread.To me it is still ambiguous in that the exclusions appear after the bold type heading relating to the third year of warranty,so it could be construed as anything happening in the second half of the third year and so not related to any thing happening in the first two years.

On the other hand it may just be badly drafted and so the wear and tear items mentioned may relate to any period after the first six months from new.

Now I can understand and agree with the wear and tear concept,for instance no-one should expect brake pads to be covered.

However I find it incredible that seat coverings,if not abused,are not warranted for longer than six months.Similarly,from the other thread,shock absorbers.

My view is that if either of these cannot last six months then they were "not fit for purpose" in the first place...Sale of Goods Act and all that.Also surely this conflicts with the fact that generally replacement shocks,oem or after market,will carry at least one years warranty.

To the OP.....tell the dealer that the seat covers obviously used a sub standard material and were unfit for purpose and you assume that Skoda no longer use that supplier,you therefore expect replacement with no contribution at all from you.

The reason i point that Warranty Document out is, so that anyone can find the definition their selves.

It is written, it is not clear, it can be read different ways, as you and i am seeing something different,

ask a Solicitor, Trading Standards or Skoda if its legal or worth the paper it is written on,

(or the Internet.)

The OP said what Skoda are prepared to do.

I would personally not accept what is written on the Warranty that i linked,

one reason would be that i never have seen that Document Yet at a Skoda Dealership,

Maybe others were handed it on the Collection of their vehicle.

Skoda will often go beyond what is Excluded.

They like the simple life sometimes, not too happy at Internet Bringing pit falls of their build Quality or Customer Services 

to the Internet or more publicity.

Others with 14 month old or high mileage ones are best placed to comment on Wear & Tear of the seating.

george

Thanks for your replies they were very helpful. After 4 hours and 45 mins trying to resolve contacted CAB they advised to contact skoda finance and quote the supply of goods implied terms act. I have posted recorded delivery watch this space.

No wear on my 5 year old Fabia 2 seats @ 70,000 miles. Keep pressure on dealer 'cos it MUST be warranty UNLESS caused by your clothing. ( zips etc.) or dog.
Have only good experience of Skoda warranty so let us know how things go....

Photo of my Fabia seat 57 reg, 70,000 miles attached 3rd Sept

post-56007-0-63377500-1378237195_thumb.jpg

Seat wear in warranty is almost unheard of from my experience in the trade. So either the seat fabric is actually at fault, or the drivers have a particular style of entry/disembarking from the car that is causing the problem. I would add, seat fabric being faulty (leaving aside aesthetics) is again, almost unheard of. An examination by a Skoda company technical warranty expert will easily be able to determine the problem. It's nearly always a user issue even though they often think it isn't. Sorry to the original poster if this sounds a bit negative. But get a second opinion. 

• Like 1

Any others experience of other vehicles from different years with different fabrics good or bad is hardly relevant

to the wear on the 2012 Monte Carlo in this thread..

It would be helpful if others with the same car, same interior seating could comment on their wear on seats.

Obviously a different batch of material or interiors can be supplied, but they will not be that different,

unless one batch is faulty.

I see now that as i get in the car, my left hand goes over to rest on the seat base bolster nearest the gearstick,

& my passenger does the same getting in the passengers side.

Then when i am sitting waiting, not driving, my hand is across on the Seat Base Bolster of the passengers seat nearest  the gearstick.

Noticed now that what i do any any car, no wonder the seats get dirty or worn there if no seat cover on.

george

I have owned a lot of cars, and the only car that I ever had this type of issue with was a Mk1 Octavia.  It wore into a hole on the bit of the driver seat back that is raised at the edge.  I have done similar mileage in Fords, Vauxhalls (even Ladas) without wearing a hole in the seat.  Skoda should sort this out for you.

Cross posted topic, moved & merged into this one, see posting guidelines:

• 4. Cross-posting is not allowed and can result in the deletion of one or both posts. Cross-posting is defined as posting the same information in two or more separate forums. We understand that some topics might fit into more than one forum. Please try to pick the most appropriate one and stick with it.

This was a new car 12 months ago, I advised the dealer that I wasn't happy when the car was 11 months old. , I am a size 14 and my hubby is 6ft tall and weighs 14.7 stone we are average sized people.

Must be a 'Friday' seat (that's if they have them in Poland?) I'm 6'3 and over 17 stone and haven't had any issues, my Montes on 10,200 miles on a 12 plate. however i'm having issues with the service warning! the only issue in an exemplary ownership

Any others experience of other vehicles from different years with different fabrics good or bad is hardly relevant

to the wear on the 2012 Monte Carlo in this thread..

It would be helpful if others with the same car, same interior seating could comment on their wear on seats.

Obviously a different batch of material or interiors can be supplied, but they will not be that different,

unless one batch is faulty.

I see now that as i get in the car, my left hand goes over to rest on the seat base bolster nearest the gearstick,

& my passenger does the same getting in the passengers side.

Then when i am sitting waiting, not driving, my hand is across on the Seat Base Bolster of the passengers seat nearest  the gearstick.

Noticed now that what i do any any car, no wonder the seats get dirty or worn there if no seat cover on.

george

Just thought how I get in the car and sit, because I'm an 'older and slightly heavier fart' I tend to put my hand on the roof and lower myself into the seat (might be due to my buggered knees) when I'm waiting my left arm in in my lap.

To the OP, I have a 12 plate monte, with the Red and black seats.  no wear to driver's or passenger seat, but the rear seats got freyed stitching when I dropped the seat back and the rubbed on something.

I am 6ft 3" and 15 stone.  I have done 15,000 miles. Unless the previous owner fell into the car every time, or had the seat way forward and rubbed against the bolster, or was HUGE, I don't see how it could get that worn in 9,000 miles.

To Tempra007, what's the problem with your service indicator? If it is saying get a service, that would be late for a service on fixed servicing (which I was advised ALL Fabias have - mine came on at 9000 miles), but might be a touch early for variable (which I now know you can convert to, it waits until 15,000+) unless your driving style has made the computer call time early!

To the OP, I have a 12 plate monte, with the Red and black seats.  no wear to driver's or passenger seat, but the rear seats got freyed stitching when I dropped the seat back and the rubbed on something.

I am 6ft 3" and 15 stone.  I have done 15,000 miles. Unless the previous owner fell into the car every time, or had the seat way forward and rubbed against the bolster, or was HUGE, I don't see how it could get that worn in 9,000 miles.

To Tempra007, what's the problem with your service indicator? If it is saying get a service, that would be late for a service on fixed servicing (which I was advised ALL Fabias have - mine came on at 9000 miles), but might be a touch early for variable (which I now know you can convert to, it waits until 15,000+) unless your driving style has made the computer call time early!

The service indicator won't accept the reset from the garage, I had it serviced at 9500 and every 100 miles or so, it sets off again.