Off Road mode in the 1.8 TSI

Yetski

Bought a 1.8TSI last week and took it Malvern in Worcestershire over the holiday weekend to visit some relatives. This thing is quick! :giggle:

So, still exploring the car, pushing buttons etc

going down a steep bumpy hill I thought Id try the Off Road option, suddenly the car jolted and to a slow speed and Im hearing this intermitant grinding noise coming from the brakes :think:

Also the front brakes are making a sort of abrasive sound from a cold start - is this normal?

please to explain

Agree with the comment from Phil above.

Can I humbly suggest that you read the Handbook? There is a very good description of all that the Off Road button does in there.

Re the front brake grinding, it could be something as simple as them removing the rust that forms on the disc overnight, but it would also be worth checking the condition of the front pads, in case.

I would suggest not to activate the offroad function when the vehicle is in motion.

Bring it to a full stop,activate it and take it from there.

Edited by oriki
  • Like 1

I would suggest not to activate the offroad function when the vehicle is in motion.

Bring it to a full stop,activate it and take it from there.

Why?

I see no problem with doing it "on the move" as long as you know what to expect. It could certainly be a way of getting you out of trouble. The only aspect that might be surprising is the Hill Descent Control.

Land Rover actually state that turning on the Hill Descent Control on the move is acceptable, and it was the way we taught it.

How do you mean limited?

As in the speed it holds the vehicle to, or the speed at which it deactivates if you accelerate?

We always taught people to leave it turned on, when off-road and if it might be needed. If you did suddenly find yourself in a situation that did need it, the response from most people was to hit the brake pedal HARD, resulting in an uncontrollable loss of traction, but if you just took your feet off everything the HDC braked in a much more controlled attitude. Counter-intuative.

Also if going downhill with the HDC turned on and the car did start to slide you can GENTLY accelerate to bring back control and then feet off and let the HDC take over again. Counter-intuative.

Driving a vehicle equipped with HDC sometimes needs a total rethink of your actions. It often needs the opposite action that would be taken if driving a vehicle such as a Defender/Jeep/Land Cruiser.