Should I take finance or pay cash...

DaveLees

First post from me :hi:

Just bought an Adventure and expecting delivery mid-September.  Was very much on the fence in regards to cash or finance to get the servicing.  Dealer had offered me a decent trade in but I went all out asking for the free servicing as part of the cash deal and after a bit of debate he relented so I got the servicing included.  Suppose it depends what you have been offered already on a cash deal to see if they would stretch to including servicing but clearly it can be done.

With deal that I've done even I know that I wouldn't get free servicing if I took the cash option.

I  bought my new Urban in August '12 and was going to pay by p/x + cash, but the salesman mentioned the 3 years free servicing with Skoda finance, for at least 6 payments to qualify. He worked out the 6 months  interest was a lot less than the 3 years service cost ( I checked, it was) so I took it.

After 3 payments, I rang Skoda finance directly about how & when to cancel.

They said I could have cancelled after one payment and kept the free service deal.

They sent me a settlement figure, I paid  it off by debit card over the phone, and they confirmed the deal by post.

The first free service was in August '13, it works!

Things to consider are that it covers 3 years or 30,000 miles on the fixed (10K / 12 monthly) service schedule, so it may not pay on  a flexible service / high mileage Yeti.

Also, if owners have sussed this out, there is no guarantee that Skoda may not change the T & Cs since last year

Edited by Liobian

At last I've spoken to vwfs who have confirmed that the service agreement will still be in force even if I end the loan early :happy:

This is the email of their reply:

Thank you for your enquiry. We would like to confirm that if you decide to withdraw from your finance or settle early your Service plan will not be effected by this and will remain valid until its expiry of the 03/09/16.

At last I've spoken to vwfs who have confirmed that the service agreement will still be in force even if I end the loan early :happy:

This is the email of their reply:

Thank you for your enquiry. We would like to confirm that if you decide to withdraw from your finance or settle early your Service plan will not be effected by this and will remain valid until its expiry of the 03/09/16.

Just goes to show that the dealer was talking out their rear end.

I'm in the process of buying another fabia and have been offered HP finance (at 9%) with free servicing (I'm not keen on the PCP cos I dont understand it).

The dealer insists I need to cancel after 6 months to keep the free servicing.

Another dealer stated free servicing is only available with PCP financing but I can cancel after 3 months.

Question, does anyone know if one month (or less) cancellation is possible with HP finance and still keep the free servicing?

Edited by xman

I'm in the process of buying another fabia and have been offered HP finance (at 9%) with free servicing (I'm not keen on the PCP cos I dont understand it).

Another dealer stated free servicing is only available with PCP financing but I can cancel after 3 months.

Question, does anyone know if one month (or less) cancellation is possible with HP finance and still keep the free servicing?

I would suggest that you contact vwfs and ask them to clarify your situation. It took me several attempts to speak with vwfs ( it's easier if you ask them to call you back-option 5). It is sad that dealers seem to offer different information, although I presume that this is so they can get their bonus for the finance.

I know that this isn't really answering your question but I do think you should consider looking at the PCP finance deal, if Skoda aren't doing 0% HP finance as an alternative. You'll be paying an awful lot more money for the deal you are considering. I have only ever bought one item (my house!) on finance prior to going with Skoda's Solutions finance deal to fund my on-order Yeti. Believe me when I say I don't go into these things lightly, without an awful lot of due consideration. Given how much money you're looking at spending, wouldn't it be advisable to spend some time looking into the options available to you?