Not so simply clever

Found a feature of the Mk II that I don't think is as simply clever as the old Mk 1.

Son's 59 Fabia 1 HTP has had a weak rear wash jet since early this year. Mentioned it to the dealer when the car got a service in late April but their diagnosis was a poorly aligned jet; not much improvement after it was adjusted mind.

In July we had to go back for a final piece of outstanding approved used warranty work and while carrying out an additional free health check, a leak was found with the washer system behind the front nearside wheel arch liner but being a Saturday there was no time to investigate further.

Forgot all about for a while but today I had a look myself, with the wheel off and liner removed. Found no issue with the bottle or pump but water was defiantly dripping and it appeared to be coming from the longeron structure. Traced the pipes from the bottle and to my surprise they disappeared into a wiring harness under the battery tray and air box. So out with the battery, air box and tray. Under these components there was a partially covered cable duct running along the longeron, passing under the gearbox vib mount and down to the front cabin bulk head.

Removed what covers I could from the duct to find the washer hoses interwoven into this wiring harness covered in black elec tape, which had to be removed. This revealed a split in the pipe and saturated elec cables.

Now with the old Mk 1 these pipes had their own separate routing, were a smooth walled pipe, not corrugated as on this Mk II and they had a push fit join which tended to pop in the pipe froze, later dumping the water harmlessly in the lower engine bay. Obviously this pipe also froze last winter despite antifreeze but the resulting failure socked the electrics. I'm pleased mind the split is reasonably accessible and not under the vib mount or nearer the bulkhead behind the ABS pump, which would have been a right rave.

So Mr. Skoda me thinks you could have done better with your design here; asking for trouble mixing water and electrics.

Just have to hope the local motor factors will have something in stock to fix it when I call tomorrow :wonder:

TP

• Like 2

You have Automotive Designers, Engineering Designers, experts in every department to build perfect cars.

12 Year Perforation Warranties now.

There must be a small secret department that looks at the model design and then modifies in faults.

Inbuilt obsolescence.

They can not have every vehicle capable of running for ever.

Electrical faults can be the thing that now makes someone decide to scrap a car.

It used to just be rust or a combination of things.

george

• Like 1

Agree with george. There is simply no excuse to mix a water pipe (with a joint) in an electric wiring loom. Even school kids know that, and an electrician installing such in the UK would not only have his certificate revoked, but possibly be had under health and safety.

This is negligent and incompetent design!

Fortunately the motor factors came up trumps with a hose straight connector in stock, albeit a non return type. Found the corrugated hose a real pain to fit over the ends; lots of heat from a hair dryer and three blisters later we got there.

TP

Yeah they're good like that.

Same was as they keep insisting on running the washer pipe ABOVE the connector blocks on the C-pillar area, so if the joint pops apart there it instantly covers the electrics in lovely water.

Been like that for blooming ages over many models!