New owner with a few questions.

Evening all. After a long long time I have finally been able to buy the car of my dreams (easily pleased some might say!) and recently picked up a 2009 FL Octy VRS DSG in Sprint YELLOW. 

I have had her a few days now and have picked up a few niggling questions that I hope some of the more experienced owners might be able to offer an answer to.

Being a DSG, the car came with Maxidot and MFSW as standard. It also appears that a Bluetooth module is installed because I have two user profiles visible on the Maxidot from previous keepers. 

Unfortunately, my iPhone will not connect to the car. After searching and finding the handset, I receive a message on the maxidot along the line so "Phone is not compatible". Does this mean that I need a different bluetooth module? Will that be the only part that needs to be replaced or will a whole host of things need to be done to get the iPhone functioning? I saw someone else suggesting deleting existing profiles but I cannot see any means of deleting them in the options I am presented (and believe me I have looked!). The car was registered in October 2009 and I am led to believe the first keeper was the dealership if that helps. (Bluetooth module 5N0 035 730 B). It seems not being able to pair it as a phone prevents me from streaming music too? The Bolero Bluetooth Audio option is permanently greyed out.

The only other issue I am having is the car has rear parking sensors but I do not get any form of visual display on the Bolero head unit. If I pop the car in reverse I hear the beeps indicating that the sensors are functioning but nothing else happens. I am led to believe the Bolero should display a visual representation of the cars back end for parking assist? The car does not have front sensors as best I can tell and I don't see any buttons in the cockpit to enable/disable the system. Neither the Bolero or Maxidot have options relating to OPS(sp?).

Is it likely that the car should be functioning in respect of these issues as standard? Should I consider taking it to the local Skoda dealer for investigation under warranty?

Any help or advice would be appreciated. Ill leave you with a picture of my pride and joy.

f58721.jpeg

Edited by KevCarter
  • Like 2

The module does need changing for one with a D suffix to get iphone working, but that is all and it is easy. Just check under seat and unplug old and replace. It may need coding with vcds for full functionality though. See:

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/189618-rsap-bluetooth-to-handsfree-sucess/page-10#entry3402830

The ops will depend on which parking sensor module you have installed. Your car is on the cusp of those which had the newer module to display the ops. You can upgrade if you have the older module but its a bit fiddly. See here for all the details you need to understand the issue:

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/261422-pdc-ops-advice/page-4

Its a nice looking car you have. Yellow has really grown on me of late.

Adam

The ops will depend on which parking sensor module you have installed. Your car is on the cusp of those which had the newer module to display the ops. You can upgrade if you have the older module but its a bit fiddly. See here for all the details you need to understand the issue:

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/261422-pdc-ops-advice/page-4

Hi, I have the factory fitted rear sensors and this has the visual display in Bolero HU, the car is a Sept 59 plate. It could be that these are not factory fitted??

Im thinking not factory fitted as well.....Mines a 10 plate and i have a visual display on my Bolero unit and if i am honest i really don't concentrate on it that much but I would have a chat to the dealer and see what they can produce with regards to documents of what has been installed. Nice car also.......and welcome to Briskoda....

All FLs with factory parking sensors should have a visual display. That's my information anyway.

As for the sensors being factory fit, a VCDS scan would reveal more. You would be looking for some information under Module 76 - Park Assist.

VCDS is a diagnostic scanning tool, in case you're not familiar - you'll see a section of the forum dealing with it, along with a member's map as a sticky post at the top, so you can check for someone near you.

Thanks for taking the time to reply guys. I am leaning towards aftermarket sensors now too. Having looked at the sensors closely, I can tell that they have been hand painted Sprint Yellow to match the surrounding paintwork. To be honest, the visual assist would be nice but is non-essential for me, its not worth the hassle to make it work as per other threads or the expense of having a standard one fitted I guess.

In respect of the Bluetooth issue, I have read the other comprehensive thread but all of the eBay links appear out of date. This guy suggests the unit is a direct swap of the module only and it should work in full without re-coding because of the existing setup. I'm inclined to believe it cant possibly be that easy. At the same time, £230 is very steep compared to what others have managed to find them for :/ http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121115288524?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Thanks for that link, I tried all kinds of search terms on here and Google and came up with more questions than answers! £166 is still a lot of money but much more affordable.

Without wanting to push my luck, and drawing from some issues raised in the mega-thread, is this module likely to present with the mono music streaming issue others have experienced? And finally, can anyone with experience advise on if I am likely to need to re-code for full functionality with the (white) Maxidot, MFSW, and Bolero?

Again, the replies and support on here have been stellar, after all I appreciate the Bluetooth discussion has been done to death based on search results!

I decided to ask the guys on that website directly.

I own a Skoda Octavia VRS 2009 with (white) Maxidot, MFSW, and standard Bolero head unit. The car has an existing Bluetooth handsfree system installed with module number 5N0 035 730 B under the drivers seat. I require a replacement module which will accept connections with all existing wiring/harnesses without having to re-route a new microphone etc. I require this module to support iPhone 5 handsfree and stereo music streaming. Please advise the correct module to purchase. Thanks!

I will update this thread with the answer in the event that anyone in a similar position can benefit in future.

It should give you full functionality on your car as it is a FL with maxidot. I'm not sure about the mono sound thing but I didn't have that problem in my preFL. Being preFL, I can't use this premium kit nor can I see it in my maxidot. I plumped for a cheaper unit which would also work for you (5k0035730d). It supports the hands free profile used by iPhones but not rSap.

I had to code for full functionality but it worked without coding. Someone on here will help with coding for beer tokens. Check out the members map in the VCDS section for your nearest member with VCDS.

Adam

Did you buy this from chapmans of pickering? i think it used to belong to a member on here called leon-y-k,he may be able to help you with some of your questions. ;)

Haha I did indeed, small world! That will also explain why the Bluetooth keeps trying to connect to 'Leons mobile'!

Aww wow!!! I'm so happy another member has bought this lovely car! :D 

It's got the older BT module, so basically it'll only connect with older phones, or samsungs! It'll work with the latest s3/4 as far as I know but won't talk to any BB's or iPhones. 

The display won't show because the rear parking sensors are the aftermarket option Skoda fitted to the vehicle before I had it too. Hence the lack of display. :(