GPS unit from China?

Usually I think the more illustrations on E bay the dodgier the deal!  However this unit looks interesting - does anyone have any experience - good or otherwise - with these units direct from China? :happy:

Don

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ZC5098G-Skoda-Octavia-combi-Praktic-Fabia-Roomster-GPS-Radio-Navi-Autoradio-Car/180837040368?rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222002%26algo%3DSIC.FIT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D286%26meid%3D996376018050219402%26pid%3D100005%26prg%3D1048%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D5%26sd%3D181175228027%26

Edited by cassoude

Usually I think the more illustrations on E bay the dodgier the deal!  However this unit looks interesting - does anyone have any experience - good or otherwise - with these units direct from China? :happy:

Don

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ZC5098G-Skoda-Octavia-combi-Praktic-Fabia-Roomster-GPS-Radio-Navi-Autoradio-Car/180837040368?rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222002%26algo%3DSIC.FIT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D286%26meid%3D996376018050219402%26pid%3D100005%26prg%3D1048%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D5%26sd%3D181175228027%26

If you are referring to this unit in particular can't really comment, but if you ask of such units in general, I'm one of the owners of such units (looks exactly like Columbus) and am more than happy to have had it.

I've had mine direct from China and is in the car for almost 2 years now and not a single glitch till date. I'm very satisfied with it in every aspect of it be it Looks, Navigation, Sound quality, BT, Media, TV, etc. and all this at a fraction of a price that I would otherwise have had to spend on any of the Skoda OEM Units.

But then there are people who have regretted their decision by choosing these units, so I guess it ultimately comes down to you to take an informed decision.

I think it is worth a punt - the difference  between 860€ and 289€ is substantial - and they have included a reversing camera as well!

I shall let you know how I go on

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Iv'e just put one of these into our VW California camper.  Works fine apart from the radio which is a bit crap but no problems installing.  Comes with a Canbus adapter and was a straight swap for the VW radio.  No recoding needed.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UK-Shipping-ES1278GBP-2-Din-8-VW-Autoradio-Sat-Nav-DVD-DVB-T-3G-WiFi-BT-PiP-TMC-/171057738769?pt=UK_In_Car_Technology&hash=item27d3d5f411

We had a similar unit in our old Bongo for a couple of years without any problems.

Iv'e just put one of these into our VW California camper.  Works fine apart from the radio which is a bit crap but no problems installing.  Comes with a Canbus adapter and was a straight swap for the VW radio.  No recoding needed.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UK-Shipping-ES1278GBP-2-Din-8-VW-Autoradio-Sat-Nav-DVD-DVB-T-3G-WiFi-BT-PiP-TMC-/171057738769?pt=UK_In_Car_Technology&hash=item27d3d5f411

We had a similar unit in our old Bongo for a couple of years without any problems.

That's been my experience, too.

I had one a few years back, used it for a few weeks but decided in the end to get a Columbus instead because I wanted a more selective radio. It was okay on the radio front, but could be rather slow to collect RDS info, and reception wasn't particularly good. The Columbus was an improvement on that front.

Apart from that, apart from a bit of a clunky user interface, it generalyl worked quite well. Sound quality was good; worked a treat with a 16GB SDHC and did a very good job of playing my MP3s.

Still got it, actually as I never got round to selling it on eBay. PM me if you want more info. I think I paid about £300 for it, but would happily sell it for rather less than that just to get rid of it.

• 3 months later...

an update:

the 
Chinese unit works ok,

the aircon, door open etc all work (canbus adapter supplied)

The Gps - Navteq - works

The video works - selectable if on the move or not

Bluetooth is supplied but I don't use it

reversing camera supplied, but not yet fitted

TV should work but as I don't watch it in the house I will not watch it in the car!!

I have yet to order a new surround, but £75 seems a lot from www.superskoda - anyone know where there is a better price?

cheers

Don

Thanks hell66, but the site is very user unfriendly - I have tried to register but all I get is a short notice in Czech!

I have emailed them for help as it is not clear which trims fit what

cheers

don

an update:

the 

Chinese unit works ok,

the aircon, door open etc all work (canbus adapter supplied)

The Gps - Navteq - works

The video works - selectable if on the move or not

Bluetooth is supplied but I don't use it

reversing camera supplied, but not yet fitted

TV should work but as I don't watch it in the house I will not watch it in the car!!

I have yet to order a new surround, but £75 seems a lot from www.superskoda - anyone know where there is a better price?

cheers

Don

Its the same surround as the Columbus about £10 from any dealers, just make sure you get the right one, the superb version has the airbag light in the middle bottom and just swaps over from the old surround

Edited by skippy41
  • Like 1