will the problems ever end...

bruceiow

My poor fabia.. Every week something else gets it :-(

I have 02reg 1.4 16v elegance, 100 brake etc etc...

Just recently, I would be driving along and the rev counter would dip to just below zero then shoot back up again.. I took it to dealer who have cleaned the TB and advised me that the front 02 sensor is duff.

It is booked in for Thursday AM to have that fixed.. 

Today whilst driving, i've been getting the same weird revs thing, but todays trick was for the engine to actually cut out. dangerous when pulling away etc. coupled to this, the power steering gave out for a while and the ASR light came on for a while until I turned it off and on again.

Most concerning was its last trick before I consigned it to the drive until it is fixed on Thursday.

Driving along my road, revs drop, shoot back up again and again, power drops out and then back to normal. Then red oil light and beeping... I killed the engine straight away and pulled over, plenty of oil in there (to the top infact). It was then REALLY hard to start, and I got it home without seeing the red light of doom again.

Is it possible all these things could be related to the 02 sensor?? things like PAS and ASR I am dubious and worried about!!! It is staying put now until I get it in on Thursday AM.

Falling out of love with my fabia :-(

A failing o2 sensor causes over fuelling because it actually fails in a lean condition thus the ECU add's fuel, its entirely possible that the car will idle poorly, there will be a lack of power and the revs will fluctuate.

A dealer will likely drum bum you for a o2 sensor get one elsewhere but not a **** ebay generic 3 wire one because they will fail quickly and are crap i've told this to people in the past, they didnt listen and up spending more money in the long run.

• Like 1

Bad battery/voltage levels maybe? When the alternator in my Polo failed and battery ran low I got all kinds of superfluous lights and warnings on the dash board (ABS, CEL, braking system, maybe more). The PAS draws a lot of current too, so might explain that. 

Should be easy enough to check too.

Edited by TriggerFish
  • Like 1

cheers guys - ive got my local garage doing the work (not skoda), they have done me well in the past :-)

The oil light thing was the most concerning. I cant get a link between 02 sensors and oil pressure :-/

If the front Lambda sensor was duff I'd expect the fault light to be on - you didn't mention that, but just to try to cheer you up, there is a connection between O2 sensor and oil pressure - they both have an "o" in them - sorry! Good luck, things like this tend to be not too serious, just annoying/stupid - wiring??