Making a Family Tree

MartynVRS

I've started to do it for my mother's side after seeing my Uncle on my dad's side do quite a big one. Is there an easy way of setting it out in say excel or access but easy enough to expand when I do? I presume there's a good template I can download somewhere. Went round my Grandparents today and just my grandads side I have over 6 generations, my nanna's side so far is about 7. Want to do as much as I can on my own before resorting to Ancestry.com

Buying family tree maker also gives you included access to Ancestry.  It's worthwhile to think about, as you can get all the information needed to order any birth/death/marriage certificates to help you go further.  Also you may find other related family trees from people that can also help you expand. 

Familysearch.org is another very good (free) resource provided to all through the church of the latter day saints (or the mormans as they are better known).

• Like 1

I do want to access Ancestry eventually but I think it's £12/month at the moment. Just noticed that link gives 3 months free when you buy the software there which isn't bad. I'll be doing the tree whenver I have free time. I know it will take a lot of time to get right

Family tree maker and ancestry.com is the way to go.  Do some background work and time your purchase to make best use of any free offer period, use that period well then cancel the subscription.

The ease of access and "hints" that this program gives are great. You will most likely find that some distant relative has done the ground work for their side of the family and can link to that.

Using this and other info I have traced my family back 9 generations and my wife's 16 generation.

Fascinating when you find the dark secret s that all families have. Our claim to fame is a second cousin of my father in law (who he tried to claim did not exist). We found out why - he married Hitlers sister!

Someone my aunts side back in the 1600's became a saint. I acquired an old copy of the software and it's pretty good. For laying everything out its perfect so I'll build it as much as I can then probably after Christmas I'll buy it properly. I know I have time to do it then. My grandmother was an evacuee and all her family is from London and Essex. Some relatives having several kids so there's lots to work through. My granddad's side were mainly all in wales but some did go to London, one went to Oz

I now have 644 individual in my tree - earliest birth 1570, most recent 2 months ago. The 1570- birth has a surname that was continued through to my Mother in law, when it died about as see is an only child, Her mother had most of that side of the family written down on the back of a sheet of wallpaper- Enjoy!

Edited by slider

I have done mine recently, I spent ages looking at all of the different options and I ended up paying for ancestry. It really is a brilliant tool!

It isn't cheap, but you can achieve a huge amount in a short space of time and then export it out.

That's the plan. I did debate making something myself in Excel but it's not worth the hassle. Haven't had time yet to start but I have to talk to a few other relatives first to get as much info as I can before I do.

I started doing mine on Ancestry a while ago, without paying and didn't get too far, then recently I was contacted by an ancestry member, it turns out my late father had a half brother he never knew about, I've now started the free trial and have got much further, it really is a good website, I'm now thinking about getting the family tree maker that comes with three months free ancestry membership.

Sent from my HTC Sensation XL with Beats Audio X315e using Tapatalk 4

• 2 weeks later...

Just a thought on family trees ,from old dad. He knew we had family branches in Ireland, but his advice was to leave it alone. Just as he did advise against looking at his Scots tree . He'd done one on his mother side to get a tartan, and found some nasty conections. His clan was Graham,alsoi known as the "Bloody" Grahams  for religious pursuits.