coolant loss from expansion tank

daz_vrs

as title really. small amount of coolant loss from the expansion tank. think its coming from the overflow. im losing about half a cup per month. noticed that ive got what I think to be more than usual pressure in the system, as today when I finished work I went to top it back up and there was still pressure in the system 6 hours after parking it up this morning. also ive noticed that it only takes about a mile or two of driving to get up to temperature (way faster than my previous vrs)

one thing to note is that its a stage 2 pd150 hybrid and I figured it was to do with that but now im worried it might be something wrong?

any advice welcome

It sounds similar to my problem except I loose more than that. Mine has a hybrid PD150 on it and I think I have got head lift. I need to book it in to get my head gasket done and uprated arp PD150 head bolts. Sorry if this is not what you wanted to hear.

Ross

I have a pd150 hybrid turbo too ... and I have the same problem but losing a lot more water .... Probably head lift for me too 

I too need new head gasket and uprated head bolts

im guessing head lift is what it says due to the extra power? as mine is minimal could I not just put some pd150 head bolts on it and torque it down more?

also what sort of price am I looking at for head gasket, bolts and labour?

Edited by daz_vrs

It could be a crack in the radiator, faulty temperature sensor, fractured heater matrix (had that on my old one, hopefully it won't be that on yours) and I think there are a couple of other possibilities, so it might not necessarily be head lift.

Mine was dropping a very small amount of coolant recently which turned out to be from one of the hoses leading to the heater matrix. The metal clip just needed tightening up a touch.

Try a search for other possible causes, I may have missed a couple.

After doing more research into my problem I've found that is quite common. Exact symptoms as mine coolant getting pressurised but only under a high load (fast driving) and coming out the overflow in the expansion tank. People changing all sorts of parts but not fixing the problem. Reading through the threads people having to change the head gasket to cure the problem which is an expensive job but what got me thinking was a post about the head bolts needing torqued down. I've heard a few people saying is head lift at high rpm so am thinking it could be down to me needing better head bolts.

I've decided this is what I'm going to do and hopefully report back with good news.

Well I'm hoping I've caught mine before is done too much damage a like I said I'm only losing a small amount of coolant and for the past day or so I've only been driving it easy so have no coolant loss or pressure on the system. I'm getting the pd150 head bolts from dark side developments and giving them a try as their only £30.