Had a go at the Strut top mounts ended badly :(

sesachc

Well i ordered some new polly strut top mounts and they came, so i started to undo the top retaining nut on the upper strut and well disaster struck, the bottom of the allen key snapped inside the hole where the top strut retaining nut is and now i can get it out, anyone got any ideas ?

I would try the same procedure as removing broken brake disk retaining screws, but I have the correct tools on hand. see http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/288076-best-way-to-remove-snapped-disc-locating-screws/#entry3415251

Try to superglue a small bolt to the remains on the hex key. Make sure no glue gets between the key end and the strut rod or you're done.

Well i ordered some new polly strut top mounts and they came, so i started to undo the top retaining nut on the upper strut and well disaster struck, the bottom of the allen key snapped inside the hole where the top strut retaining nut is and now i can get it out, anyone got any ideas ?

Hi,

If you have not got sorted out post up a couple of pics showing your problem

Chris K

try'd that, just spins, i thought with the torque it would have caught the nut on the thread before spinning but never worked out as planed, so awaiting on newly ordered 21/23mm swan neck ring spanner to do the job right, but i've "misplaced" or more likely my mate has stole my 21mm ring spanner for use in his commercial garage.

I find a impact gun works just aswell to undo the top nuts

The problem with using an impact gun is that if the nut snags on the thread and the piston rod spins, it can wreck the seals.

Much better to use a deep offset wrench/hex socket to get them off and an open socket/hex key to put them back on.

try'd that, just spins, i thought with the torque it would have caught the nut on the thread before spinning but never worked out as planed, so awaiting on newly ordered 21/23mm swan neck ring spanner to do the job right, but i've "misplaced" or more likely my mate has stole my 21mm ring spanner for use in his commercial garage.

Are the shocks aftermarket or OE?

OE is 21mm, aftermarket is often 22mm (although you can use VAG 21mm top nuts).

a 21mm spark plug socket works well too,

other tips are, clean the shock threads well with a wire brush and spray lots of wd40 overnight,

if that still fails pouring a kettle of boiling water over nut helps as the nut contains nylon lock tread at the top of the nut