Why is it so hard to buy a new car ?

I didn't like the tone of the email from the dealer either, maybe my interpretation is wrong, but I think it is basically saying that my guys did nothing wrong in my opinion and if you want to go elsewhere then so be it, we have enough business to not worry about you.

Whatever happened to the customer is always right?

Ian

• Like 1

I wouldn't mind being in my Octavia for a long time as you put it....it's got full leather seats which are nice and warm in the winter (heated)

The reason you need seat heaters is because you have leather. :P

• Like 1

I bought a new Octavia from Haseldens last year and I was treated very well.  I think if we get bad service it is best to address the problem straight away with the manager - that way both parties get a chance to express themselves frankly and maybe get an amicable result.

• Like 2

I'm sure Mrs Monkster will like the Citigo, same engine as her Toyota 1000cc 3 cyl. Both are a bit slow but do sound nice when wound up.

This sounds very similar to Mrs Chappers - except my wife sounds bl**dy horrible when she's wound up!  :blush:

• Like 1

I'm sorry for sounding like an old record, but I tried Bickerton's in Sheffield today. I explained what my part ex was via the telephone and was told I would be contacted later. I was subsequently offered a very poor price for my car. I then said I would be putting the car on Autotrader...an immediate £500 more was offered...why try to rip me off in the first place?

Another sale lost.

I would be putting the car on Autotrader...an immediate £500 more was offered...why try to rip me off in the first place? Another sale lost.

It's their job to make money not give you a good deal so that's just business.

That's the game and your entry to more haggling. IMHO if he'd give you £500 that quick then there is a lot more to be had there and he's interested in your car. So I'd be just the opposite and be trying to get more out of him.

If a salesman is smiling when you agree a price then you've not haggled hard enough ;)

When I purchased my Octavia 1.4tsi the price in the window was £9980.I looked on the internet at the dealers website and the exact same car was priced at £7980 a difference of 2k!!.I brought this to the attention of the salesman and purchased the car for the cheaper price.

• Like 1

Re the Citigo, it was my last courtesy car when the vRS was in for it's MOT and service. At first I hated it (I had a 150 mile round trip to make for work that day), but after a while I grew quite affectionate for it, although I'm sure I would have got lousy fuel economy as an owner as I was foot to the floor nearly all the time with it! One thing I would say though is it really lacks sound proofing, particularly from the rear tiny boot and wheel arches - so lots of dynamat would definately be my first mod if I ever owned one!