Fabia 1.2 SE

monkster

I'm tempted to buy Mrs Monkster a new Fabia 1.2 SE model, especially with the pcp agreement they seem to be at a bargain price at the monent. The car it's replacing is a Yaris 1000cc so performance is not an issue. Are they any good ?

Regards Monkster.

I'm tempted to buy Mrs Monkster a new Fabia 1.2 SE model, especially with the pcp agreement they seem to be at a bargain price at the monent. The car it's replacing is a Yaris 1000cc so performance is not an issue. Are they any good ?

Regards Monkster.

Fine car for city driving and occasional shortish carriageway and motorway stints.

We have the 60 hp version and if that goes quite well.

Love the fact that it warms up so quick compared to our VRSs.

Seems to average about 45 mpg. 

Makes a nice noise from the three cylinder engine.

Very little to do wrong and it just flew through its MOT again, quality product.

Very roomy even for 4 people and luggage.

Think with the SE you get A\C which is fairly essentail really.

Seat is ours are a bit basic and it does drone if you are doing 70 mph plus for long journeys (lie to Falmouth).

Insurance is super low, much joy as town or first car.

• Like 1

Monkster, as lol says, great motor. I don't own one but I've driven often the 70ps version and it rocks. It has a bit more power to make those long motorway trips more than bearable. Went to Wales in one not so long ago with four of us in it! It was the estate car version and we had no issues with performance and it managed 44mpg overall which is darn good. Can't go wrong by buying one. It has no issues. 

I have the 70hp 12v version, main problem is the fuel consumpton, I average 36-37mpg combined driving 'normally'. However I did manage 42mpg once by driving very gently...too fustrating, coasting where possible, allowing other traffic to overtake...

• Like 2

I have the 70hp 12v version, main problem is the fuel consumpton, I average 36-37mpg combined driving 'normally'. However I did manage 42mpg once by driving very gently...too fustrating, coasting where possible, allowing other traffic to overtake...

Naturally Aspirated engines are less efficient that Turbo engines and particularly when you get in the upper third of then rev range and combine that with the Fabia's shape once you are well past 65 mph they start to get thirstier than the TSIs.

They will still do 100 mph but at their best not going to much over 65 mph.

Shame they never put a six speed box or used 4th as the top speed gear and 5th as overdrive and maybe could have got it to less than 120 grams/kilometer and £30 road tax with a bit of effort. 

• Like 1

Really?

Ours used to do 36-38mpg around town but would easily get mid 40's on a longer run just driving normally. We would see 50mpg regularly on the 80 mile A road run to the coast @40-60mph.

I could even get low 40's on my 30 mile commute to work which is mainly motorway at 70-75mph. (Wouldn't want to do that every day though)

I'd happily have another for a town car with odd run out duties. Short gearing and the three cylinder engine note is quite fun around town.

Cheers

Lee

• Like 1

Shame they never put a six speed box or used 4th as the top speed gear and 5th as overdrive and maybe could have got it to less than 120 grams/kilometer and £30 road tax with a bit of effort. 

There was a gearbox ratio change (maybe 09 or 10 plate onwards) as memory serves this gives an 70mph in 5th as about 3100, which compares with 3500 in the earlier 1.2 three cylinder 69/70 ps/bhp.

The later one is a lower tax group too (£20 less).

We have one of each, and the newer one is mechanically quiet at speed - mostly road noise - whereas the older one has some engine/exhaust noise too.

I suspect there was some engine remapping too, as there is a bit more poke from really low rpm, and the display indicates change up on the display (on an "S") earlier than I'd expect, unless you are giving it the beans.

It will chug along quite happily at 1300 rpm or so in 5th in a 30, and accelerate smoothly without protest.

Both are good little cars, the newer one is the better drive.

Edited by johnh510

There was a gearbox ratio change (maybe 09 or 10 plate onwards) as memory serves this gives an 70mph in 5th as about 3100, which compares with 3500 in the earlier 1.2 three cylinder 69/70 ps/bhp.

The later one is a lower tax group too (£20 less).

We have one of each, and the newer one is mechanically quiet at speed - mostly road noise - whereas the older one has some engine/exhaust noise too.

I suspect there was some engine remapping too, as there is a bit more poke from really low rpm, and the display indicates change up on the display (on an "S") earlier than I'd expect, unless you are giving it the beans.

It will chug along quite happily at 1300 rpm or so in 5th in a 30, and accelerate smoothly without protest.

Both are good little cars, the newer one is the better drive.

If they would just make it that extra better to push the CO2 below 120 grams and save £90 a year or some £900 over its lifetime.

Sure they could do it but probably will not to not detract from the TSIs and TDIs, shame really. 

I loved my 1.2 (70) and often waxed lyrical about it on here. Absolutely plenty of poke and a lovely sound from the 3 pot. My only criticism was that on the Motorway it wanted to do 80 mph but above 65 mph the mpg plummets.

My 1.2 Tsi DSG (105) is better  as regards performance and economy.

Really?

I have the pre face lift but it's still thirstier than my old 1.2 64bhp 55reg.

On paper the 205 16 45 tyres give the same mpg as the 195 55 15 tyres (according to the Skoda brochures).

I've got 205 tyres on mine, in theory I would have thought it makes a difference but I like to think it doesn't I hope. Also my car probably weighs about 40-45Kg heavier than a standard fabia. Extra equipment (full sized spare wheel, extra sound deadening, mud flaps)

I only use 5th gear when I get up to about 40mph as I don't like to labour the engine especially uphill or fully loaded.

• Like 1

Does the newer model still have the buzzy engine noise of the 3 cylinder?

The 0-60 times are the same for both new and older htp engines, so the lower gear ratio are the same?

• Like 1

Does the newer model still have the buzzy engine noise of the 3 cylinder?

The 0-60 times are the same for both new and older htp engines, so the lower gear ratio are the same?

The newer (12 plate) "S" estate is mechanically quiet at legal speeds - mostly tyre noise, and a bit of wind noise, but the 09 plate "S" estate does start to buzz a bit at higher speeds: from the engine/exhaust.

I can't compare the speeds in intermediate gears ATM as one of the cars is away from home for a couple of weeks.

If you like I'll find out when I can.
Edited by johnh510
  • Like 1