Greenline LRR

Zarniwoop

Low rolling resistance is being built into cars these days in the quest for lower fuel consumption and emissions,  but I never really thought the difference could be measurable by the "man in the street".  Yesterday I experienced it myself with some considerable surprise.  I was visiting my local Tesco's which has a large and perfectly level car park.  I've had my Greenline Yeti for five months now,  but after six years of driving a car with an automatic handbrake I very occasionally forget to apply the handbrake on the Yeti, and yesterday at Tesco's was one of those days.  When I came back to the car with the shopping,  I opened the boot and began to adjust one of the hooks on the boot rails to hang the bags on,  and discovered that just applying enough forward pressure on the hook to slide it along the rail was enough to get the whole car rolling forward.  It takes no effort at all,  just a gentle push with one finger,  to get a Greenline Yeti rolling on level ground.

I later compared it to the effort needed to do the same on our old Honda Civic runabout,  and that requires a considerable heave to get it moving... and its a much smaller vehicle.

I guess its one of the factors that accounts for the fact that we regularly get over 60mpg showing on the Maxidot when we "go out for a run".

I'm also glad it wasn't windy yesterday.... a strong gust could have relocated Marvin in the Tesco's car park while I was inside the shop!

Did you go to the other end and push it back.

Just to test the validity of the flat being truely "flat" .

Mind, I dont doubt there is sommat in it,

But struggle to reconcile LRR with optimum grip?

On the one hand safety/safety/safety/ vis-a-vis environmental considerations.

So what are the comparitive braking distances?

marcus

Didn't push it back,  I simply pulled it.  It rolled forward over a footway and I simply pulled it back again using the same luggage hook... no effort required at all.

Don't know how this affects grip:  these days I drive in a way that doesn't get me near the limits of adhesion so its not an issue  (don't let's reopen THAT can of worms again...I stuck my head over the parapet on another thread and got shot at!)

Don't do a lot of motorway stuff these days,  but when we do I think we've been getting in the high fifties ( we do stick to the speed limits,  so none of your 80mph stuff).

Still only five thousand miles on the clock,  so may improve on this as the engine loosens up.  Average over last 2165 miles is 52.9 at an average speed of 32mph, according to Maxidot.

Just remember that this low level of grip for motion (and thus fuel saving) also has a direct correlation to very low levels of grip when braking and thus hugely increased stopping distances...

Did you go to the other end and push it back.

Just to test the validity of the flat being truely "flat" .

Mind, I dont doubt there is sommat in it,

But struggle to reconcile LRR with optimum grip?

On the one hand safety/safety/safety/ vis-a-vis environmental considerations.

So what are the comparitive braking distances?

marcus

cough cough!!

Concur with johann, the one thing i dislike about the greenline is they do not feel "good" under braking.

I suspect it is the tyres that are the issue.

I didn't like the low energy michelins on the touran and i really don't like the low e contis on the yeti.

T-Square.

I can just about beat 56mpg on the M62 over a 70 mile journey.

Works out about 53.5 in one direction and nearly 60 in the opposite direction (at an indicated 70mph).

It's a journey i do fairly regularly to visit family so i'm pretty confident in the numbers.

Edited by AlleyCat`