Plastidipity...

munstaar

Hi guys,

So, I sprayed my grill the other week with some of that plastidip stuff.

Easy/quick enough to do...was well impressed with the result & look.

Been commuting to work & back since – with no issues...until last night!

Got home & noticed it has bubbled out at the top edge of the grill (where it meets the rest of the grill surround).

Haven’t took the grill off yet, but it looks like it’s come away along the top edge of the grill & is now folding out over the top/front L

Any ideas what I may have done wrong? Should I have sprayed the back of the grill too? (to create one mould) or could it be a dirty top edge, so hasn’t stuck?

I’m sure I’ve got some left in the can, will it possible to just do another couple of coats over the top edge again and maybe the back? Or do I remove the whole lot & start a fresh?

Thanks guys.

Thanks for the reply mate - I gave it 20mins between coats (4 in total) & left it overnight to dry before attaching it back on the next day - so surely should have been dry by then?

Was afraid I'd have to start afresh! :(

Think I'll try the spray over & use up whatever remains in the can I've got - if it looks awful, Ill rip it off & order some more.

Gutted. Looks awesome in black. Don't really want to go back to chrome!

plasti-dip is great stuff! however i've noticed on small niggly plastic bits it struggles to find a grip for a long period of time such as grills.

You'd be better sanding it somehow then painting it matt black or something.

plasti-dip is great stuff! however i've noticed on small niggly plastic bits it struggles to find a grip for a long period of time such as grills.

You'd be better sanding it somehow then painting it matt black or something.

Might end up going down the prep & spray route mate. Only worry with that is the risk of chips! Guess some clear plastidip could solve that? Hmmm...

Prime example i did on a friends car. He hated having grey bumpers on his golf.

He had it on a year before a stone chip made me do it again but its easy because all i had to do was peel it off, clean it and start again which only takes about an hour.

before:

404713_429690813745593_239479556_n.jpg

after:

68057_429690850412256_521498592_n.jpg

But as i said, for small niggly bits it just cant grip.

Totally agree with you mate - the stuffs revolutionary. Guess you're right & its not fit for purpose when it comes to grills.

I'm certain there's plenty on here who have used it on the grill though - would like to hear how they're getting on and if they did anything different to me?

Will try the respray & possibly extend it over the back edges & onto the back to create a bigger mould (if I have enough left in the can that is)- see if that helps.

Will report back once done.

It might be a case of contamination before you sprayed it, did you wipe down with solvent to remove any contaminants?  I spoke to a guy who did his wheels, he washed them with tfr and dried them then sprayed them, he got this peeling effect, so he did them again but wiped them with acetone first, no problems after this.

its a bit out there but have you thought of hydro-dipping? plenty of companys that do it and it works really well.

http://www.hydro-graffix.co.uk/car-hydrographics-carbon-fibre.html

skip to 1:10

I like the principle but it looks gash on that particular piece of trim.

• Like 1

Yeh that hydro stuff looks impressive....wonder how durable the end result is though? Has anyone tried it? Deffo worth looking into.

Not sure on the contamination tbh.. was a clear dry day when I did it. There are streaks of rain water leading onto the grill from off the bonnet though...maybe that water just sat on the grill top and caused it?

Guess I wont know until I take it off and see this weekend.

Cheers guys.

I think that's where I've gone wrong... didn't use white spirit. I used fairy liquid to give a wash/wipe down. Guess it's time to order some more plastidip! Why doesn't anyone sell it in a store!?

Might try independent stores/garages locally. Hopefully get lucky and get some this weekend.