Rusting / bubbling on the bottom of the skirts / doors / wheel arches

smithmr8

i got a 12 plate monte carlo 

it was waiting for skoda's paint inspector to come and fill out the forms and get everything authorised that took up all the time ...

defo worth a shot before you spend the money though .... especially as the paintwork will go on the cars history and look better to a future buyer (i.e. not an accident repair)  and also has a 2 year warranty 

That's not bad at all. I can't see how the level of rust in experiencing could be seen as normal. I've never had a car, of this age, that's turned out like this. I did touch up one of the arches a little before I noticed the skirt was also ****ed, so hopefully they won't mind. The rust is still visible on the other arch. Haven't touched the skirt rust or the door.

That's not bad at all. I can't see how the level of rust in experiencing could be seen as normal. I've never had a car, of this age, that's turned out like this. I did touch up one of the arches a little before I noticed the skirt was also ******, so hopefully they won't mind. The rust is still visible on the other arch. Haven't touched the skirt rust or the door.

Personally ( i know i will be shot down for this) but i dont think the body work on skodas (based on my fabia and a couple of others i have seen) is up the the same quality / standard and has the same rust prevention as other manufacturers 

Guest BigJase88

I think the rust prevention on a skoda is very very good!

Its all about maintaining and looking after the paint

Id guess your car has previously went long period without being washed of road salt in its previous years!

If you want poor anti corrosion please buy a ford

I definately agree with big jase. My previous car was a 51 plate zetecs fiesta and the arches were terrible. I keep my fabia regularly waxed and sealed and washed whenever its dirty pretty much so hopefully this will be the only rust i need to get sorted. Ive had mine 16 months and to be honest i havent noticed the rust spreading. Only wish id heard about the warranty earlier and i wouldve had it sorted sooner :)

Sent from my GT-I8190 using Tapatalk

I guess it's a little hit and miss. My ST was immaculate, the only issue was a small lacquer peel on the roof. Other than that, it was fine. 

After all the talk of tailgates having rust on, I checked mine this morning. There is infact a number of rust spots on the seam (where the button to open is). So I've cancelled the bodyshop and am going to push for the work to be done. This is, quite frankly, ridiculous. Skirts, doors, arches and the tailgate. I'll happily spend some money in the small claims court if need be, purely for the principle. 

Got an appointment this afternoon with my local dealer to take some pictures taken for them to send off. The guy suggested it should only be a couple of days until I hear back, as to whether or not they'll cover it. Fingers crossed!

Guest BigJase88

I guess it's a little hit and miss. My ST was immaculate, the only issue was a small lacquer peel on the roof. Other than that, it was fine.

After all the talk of tailgates having rust on, I checked mine this morning. There is infact a number of rust spots on the seam (where the button to open is). So I've cancelled the bodyshop and am going to push for the work to be done. This is, quite frankly, ridiculous. Skirts, doors, arches and the tailgate. I'll happily spend some money in the small claims court if need be, purely for the principle.

What st was it?

Ones with plaggy arches are okay. Its the non sporty ones! My bro's 06 focus tdci has rusted back arches and doors (50k miles)

Just took it in. The guy took pictures of everything I showed him, noted my mileage (47k) and took photos' of my service history (full, including main dealers). Said I should hear back before the end of the week as to whether they'll cover it. Fingers crossed!

Dale did they bring up anything about having to have a full Skoda service history to get it fixed under warranty ??

When the guy asked for mine, he said it was just incase the warranty people wanted it. Didn't explicitly say it was required. 

Nope didnt have to show anything. Could of been my grannys car for all he knew :p. Didnt even ask how long ive had it mate. But like i said in another thread simmilar yo this i cut out the middle man ( skoda dealership) and just went straight into the bodyshop. Had to make an appointment to be seen but i heard back within a week that i had been succesful :)

Just got speaking to a guy in aberdeen one night with a se and he told me his was going in and told me to go try cause mines was worse than his :). The aberdeen one is big though they do all the audis and that aswell. Im sure you would find your closest 1 on the net

Got mine looked at by the dealer, just decided to chance it and go for it. The sill rust was explained as being impact damage, so no go. The little bubbles just above the number plate were knocked back because it had been painted before. I asked how they could tell and he showed me this little tool which he said could tell him the thickness of the paint apparently it should be between 130 - 140 whatever it was (microns maybe?) and mine was 230 - 240 thick which shows it had been repainted before, so I'm on my own.

Ah well, I tried. Smoothrite and Kurust here I come. I'm just going to wait until I get my garage for Crimbo and then I'll have somewhere indoors to do it in peace. (As opposed to trying to do it in the street at this time of year). lol.

I'll get the spoiler wrapped I think.... carbon black, then it'll match my door handles.

For the first time, in recent years, it's roll on Christmas. Usually I'm more of the Bah Humbug! type, well, at least until the week before anyway.