Source of Rattle, Vibration, Resonance, Whine

Too Tall

I am going to tell a story.

If you have a persistent rattle, whine, roar, or vibration, read on. My goal is to help someone who, like me, is being driven mad by a rattle. If only 1 person fixes their problem because of this, it's worth it. So here goes.

2010 estate, 40000 miles. Bought second hand. The car had a distinct whine at just below 1500 rpm. An independant mechanic diagnosed "cambeltpulley". I searched online, I found something related to the airbox, and I told the master mechanic at my dealer (major franchise in Belgium, your typical Audi/VW/Skoda glass palace) "No it's not the intake, it's a pulley from the cambelt, it has to be replaced"

I then mentioned I had extended warranty (2+2 by WeCare, from the Belgian importer). He frowned but still persisted, it was definately the cambelt.

Cambelt replaced.

Rattle persists.

Junior mechanic at the same garage (after I told them I would not "keep driving it until it gets worse"); "doesn't sound like the cambelt at all, let me hold the intake while you rev the engine - there you go"

Total cost 18€'s for a new intake cover, and a huge bill for an unnecessairy cambelt change the dealer is stuffed with :giggle: I did ask for a declaration to be written in the service history, "wrong diagnosis caused cambelt change at 40000 mi"

My advice, find the buzzing sweet spot (was just below 1500rpm on mine) and get a mechanic to look around the engine. Should find it if it's the air intake. It's an easy fix. The part itself is the cover on top of the airbox inlet.

Don't mention it immediately to a dealer if you still have warranty though, maybe you'll get a free cambelt ;)

nda4.jpg

Other possibilities that I found online are;

1. Aircon flaps inside the vents

2. exhaust heatshields (the bright alu colored panels fitted to the exhaust tunnel, get the car on a ramp and tap them, a resonating panel will sound different)

3. Both end plates of the dash (fusebox covers)

4. Trim on top of the dash

To those who are looking for a solution, keep on looking if this doesn't help you, the car is NOT supposed to have a whine/rattle/roar/vibration, don't take NO for an answer, this car IS worth it!!!

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

This noise is created when revving up. It travels into the cabin as a discreet rattling sound. But what is it? Listen carefully, the frequency changes when revving up. Belt? View My Video

Sent by Tapatalk

• 6 months later...
  • 4 years later...