Just to update you all!

Right here we go! Had a problem with a boost leak (loud) so took front bumper apart took intercooler apart, pancake pipe, all too turbo hosed, dv hoses literally every possible hose I could find and found the big 90 degree elbo from the turbo split, so replaced that.

Problem solved I thought, whent to drive it then It sounded like the dv was constantly blowing off as soon as I hit and boost atall,

Then boost gauge wouldn't go above 0 atall in any gear, any revs.

Called aa out as I pay for it so why not, he diagnosed it as my wastegate isn't moving at all so sticky wastegate and said I have noisy turbo bearings you can here them after you turn engine off.

Then......... On the way home stopped at lights and a massive cloud of white smoke came past the car strong oil smell.

All from a split pipe so booked in my mates garage on Monday.

Morale of the story, free the wastegate strong chance of turbo rebuild and all oil feed pipes.

Just spoke to my mate he recons the bearings arnt a big issue his was a bit noisy on his impreza for years, and as for the smoke it's just fuel because it's not boosting the car is just chucking fuel in so still waiting on outcome

Just spoke to my mate he recons the bearings arnt a big issue his was a bit noisy on his impreza for years, and as for the smoke it's just fuel because it's not boosting the car is just chucking fuel in so still waiting on outcome

Unburned fuel is black smoke, and it doesn't smell of oil, i'm sorry to say.

Ah right well I'm expecting the worst anyway but like I said as soon as I know I will let you all know. You know what they say, if something brakes replace it with uprated parts ;-)

If it's nackered it just seems like an opportunity to me

• Like 2

Ah right well I'm expecting the worst anyway but like I said as soon as I know I will let you all know. You know what they say, if something brakes replace it with uprated parts ;-)

If it's nackered it just seems like an opportunity to me

makes total sense to me!!!!

Turbo seized!!!!!! Right now........ I can't afford to replace manifold so hybrid is out of the question it has gt2871rs which are quite hard to find any suggestions on which gt28 to look for? Thanks

Sorry to hear that, before you sort out the replacement, take yours off, and check the compressor and turbine wheels for damage.

If the compressor wheel is damaged, then you need to inspect your intercooler pipework, as the debris could get passed through the intercooler and get into the cylinders of the engine (don't want to worry you, but i'm talking from experience here, albeit with an Evo), if there is any debris then you should bin the intercooler as there could be fragments in there, which could cause damage later on.

Then send it off and get a quote to rebuild it (could be cheaper than replacing it with a new one).

Also i'd advise removing your sump and check for any bearings or bits of bearing cage that may have found there way into the sump via the oil return pipe, if you don't then it "could" cost you an engine at a later date (again talking from experience here, with the same Evo after a 2nd turbo failure).

Sorry to hear that, before you sort out the replacement, take yours off, and check the compressor and turbine wheels for damage.

If the compressor wheel is damaged, then you need to inspect your intercooler pipework, as the debris could get passed through the intercooler and get into the cylinders of the engine (don't want to worry you, but i'm talking from experience here, albeit with an Evo), if there is any debris then you should bin the intercooler as there could be fragments in there, which could cause damage later on.

Then send it off and get a quote to rebuild it (could be cheaper than replacing it with a new one).

Also i'd advise removing your sump and check for any bearings or bits of bearing cage that may have found there way into the sump via the oil return pipe, if you don't then it "could" cost you an engine at a later date (again talking from experience here, with the same Evo after a 2nd turbo failure).

Thanks buddy yea taking the turbo off as we speak it's the Bearings that are ****ed and the wheel is seized solid but no sign of damage etc but oil feed pipe dosnt seem blocked but will change oil feed pipe from the sump anyway while we are at it so it's all done

think garrett do an exchange/rebuild service on turbos, though its in the states so you have to send it to them. Might well be cheaper to do with the exchange rate

Well plan is!!! Bought a new Garett unit BNIB £550 with reciept for £1000 but is a gt2860rs so hopefully little less turbo lag and when fitted will get my 2871rs reconditioned then sell it that way the car isn't off the road for weeks and I make some of my money back athough will have to price up how much it will cost and how much it will be worth to see if it's worth me doing it or just chuck it

Will need to get mapped changed dude as your changing turbo frame size

Bad luck such a shame it's turned out to be a bit of a pain

Yea is a bit of a shame mate but everything happens for a reason so hopefully good will come from it. I knew it wouldn't last forever like I was told a high tuned turbo car always cost money

• 2 weeks later...

Right then!! Another update. Went to Birmingham picked up my turbo went to fit it tonight. Mmmm.........

Because I'm such an intelligent bloke I bought an impreza turbo. Only problem with that is all the fitments on my old turbo aren't haha. Luckily I have a mate with a couple Scoobys That he is breaking so I have bought a downpipe, an up-pipe and cutting the flanges off them and have them welded onto my downpipe and up-pipe.

Right then!! Another update. Went to Birmingham picked up my turbo went to fit it tonight. Mmmm.........

Because I'm such an intelligent bloke I bought an impreza turbo. Only problem with that is all the fitments on my old turbo aren't haha. Luckily I have a mate with a couple Scoobys That he is breaking so I have bought a downpipe, an up-pipe and cutting the flanges off them and have them welded onto my downpipe and up-pipe.

Can't you just swap the exhaust housing over with your old 1 ?