Monte Tech to Vrs...

Hi all,

I have had my monte tech 1.6cr  for 4 months now and its been a great car,, but due to changes at work i don`t have to pay for fuel,,, so was thinking about a Vrs,, i`m after some general thoughts...

james.

Well you are obviously familiar and happy with the fabia II in general. I'm presuming that the CR you have is 5 speed manual?

I'd certainly agree that a test drive would really confirm the differences but I imagine that the real difference other than power (POWAH!) would be the 7speed DSG box.

I'm new to DSG (and auto boxes) myself, but have found the transition pleasant. The main difference for me (other than trying to resist pressing the clutch peddle in, and subsequently smashing my face against the steering wheel as I apply the brakes as hard as I can) is that unlike a manual you have no clutch control whatsoever. This seems obvious but it's weird to control slow maneuvers (forwards or backwards) with the brake instead. Having said this it's not hard and the VRS seems very happy to edge along in slow traffic etc.

For tired morning commutes automatic "D" mode is best for me, depending on how hard you accelerate depends on how long it holds gears etc, and the box adapts to your driving style with different shift programs. For spirited commutes home from work I love manual mode changing gear myself with the paddles. Even in manual mode the car will still shift down if you're going to slow for a gear.

It's funny but I drive my semi-auto car in manual mode most of the time. I've found in D there is sometimes a delay you wouldn't get from a manual whilst the car decides what to do (it hesitates sometimes) and sometimes when driving in D I will use a paddle to either shift up or shift down to correct the gearboxes decision (i.e. put it in 6th instead of 5th just as I hit 30mph to be more economical)

If you've driven auto before I believe this is a very good auto box which you'll have no problem with. If it'd be your first i think it will take some getting used to and learning how to best use it but it can be the ultimate lazy drive or a really fun paddle shifting pseudo racey gearbox. I do like the fact that I can have fun with it when I want, or let the car do the work and only have to worry about how fast I want to be going when in a town or in traffic.

Other than that, it has a tenancy to try and torque steer to the left on hard acceleration, so hold the wheel tight when doing so. The handling is as you'd expect from a sporty fabia, good but not great (I believe it has the same brakes, wheels / tyres and suspension as your Monte though...) They may or may not drink oil like it's lager. Oh and there is a form of kick-down button behind the accelerator peddle, just beyond full throttle. I call it the warp button as it basically just makes the car go mental and accelerate as hard as it can no matter what gear or drive mode you're in. I'm averaging about 40mpg according to the computer with my 19 mile each way commute plus shorter trips.

I love my VRS.

Edited by MattGreen
  • Like 2

Hmm, in all honesty i wouldn't bother.

The VRS won't feel any more special than the Monte Carlo except for the extra performance, I guess the deciding factor would be if you want to change to DSG box or not. If fuel is no factor then why not go for the next step up in hot hatch - a used Focus ST, Golf GTI, Mazda 3 MPS, Megane Sport etc.

Thanks for all for the comments

Have driven a vrs estate, really enjoyed the DSG box... Only issue I have is to try and find one with a good spec,,, as the monte has everything I need.. Search begins.

Dealer is quite keen to get the monte.. In on a px for a vrs..

We shall see..

I wonder about a Dealer keen to get the Monte, because they are plenty full,

they are hardly likely to make much on turning one around, but they know they can get it moved on easier than a vRS.

i suspect that they are keen to get a vRS off their hands.

Some dealers are sitting with ones that have ridiculous Asking Prices.

(they paid too much to get them in or have ex demonstrators they are holding out to get a profit on, as is their business.)

Just do not pay too much for one, there are plenty around the country to chose from.

& as you are doing, look for exactly the spec you want.

george